Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need some ID clarification >

Need some ID clarification

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some ID clarification

Old 04-18-2021, 08:59 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Need some ID clarification

I haven't posted here for a while but I do stop in very often and always enjoy your knowledge and stories. I do have a question about a long beard I took yesterday.
In hunting turkeys I have taken ~45 birds in my life and I have only taken two with this coulor of fan in all of those years hunting. I'm in Merriam turkey country and was wondering what you think this coulor meanings as far as identity of bird etc.? Not white tipped is what I'm referring too.
Attached Thumbnails Need some ID clarification-img_6779.jpg   Need some ID clarification-img_6785.jpg  

Last edited by neb; 04-18-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:24 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Wow! No one can tell what they think this bird is? I live in north central/eastern Montana.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a Rio Grande turkey from the colors.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:17 PM
neb
Typical Buck

^ thanks for your response. I was thinking maybe eastern species but I have no idea really. Is a unique coulor from the normal white tipped we have. Maybe some hybrid or mixture of breeds also.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like a normal buff coloured Merriam's.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Timbrhuntr, thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking Merriam also just a coulor phase that has occurred.
I did do some research and coulor and they can be white or buff. That is very interesting for me, because living where that is all you see is white tipped feathers. I didn't know they can be buff. Lol

Thanks

Last edited by neb; 04-19-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by neb
Timbrhuntr, thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking Merriam also just a coulor phase that has occurred.
I did do some research and coulor and they can be white or buff. That is very interesting for me, because living where that is all you see is white tipped feathers. I didn't know they can be buff. Lol

Thanks
It is my understanding that buff is the more natural colouring in a true Merriam's and not white . I have shot Rio's in Texas that were almost white as opposed to the more buff type colouring you never know I guess . With Merriam's they seem to have less iridescent breast feathers more purple as opposed to the bronze colour of rio's plus the the tips on the main tail feathers are wider on the Merriam's .

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 04-19-2021 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:39 PM
neb
Typical Buck

^^ Thanks, I really did appreciate your detailed identification and knowledge.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Normal Buff colored Merriam. Seen alot of that color phase in and around Sundance WY

JW
Old 04-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

The Rio's I've shot tend to have iridescent breast feathers and tan tail feathers but less white on the wings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.