Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Grand Slam display

Old 04-17-2021, 05:15 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Congrats!! Like the display.

Hope to do that myself one day.

Which do you enjoy hunting the most? I only get Easterns here, but did get a rio on a pay hunt years ago.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:24 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Outstanding accomplishment!
I was reading through the posts and seen where coulor was discussed on Merriam/Rio. I'm also use to seeing and harvesting white tipped Merriam but this year I apparently got a buff tipped phase coulor.
Great Job once again!
Old 04-19-2021, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by neb
Outstanding accomplishment!
I was reading through the posts and seen where coulor was discussed on Merriam/Rio. I'm also use to seeing and harvesting white tipped Merriam but this year I apparently got a buff tipped phase coulor.
Great Job once again!
Thank ya. Hope to get back up to SD again in the future to chase another Merriams.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EFH
Congrats!! Like the display.

Hope to do that myself one day.

Which do you enjoy hunting the most? I only get Easterns here, but did get a rio on a pay hunt years ago.
Not sure I really have a favorite. I mainly hunt Rios here but do make a trip to the SE corner of the state for an Eastern once or twice a year. The Merriams was pretty cool being up in the Black Hills and all the history up there and the Osceola was like hunting in another country with with the snakes and gators. If I had to choose it would probably come down to those two though. Only thing I didn't like in Florida was the heat. It was 95 when I shot that bird.

If it wasn't for this forum I may not of finished it up. Have made a few friends off here that have helped me along the way. Actually met them from the turkey contests we use to have.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I need to complete a slam is a Merriams. Got Easterns when I was stationed in VA. Got Osceolas when I was stationed in FL. Got Rios here in TX. Someday I'll go to my native CO and try for the Merriams.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That’ awesome, congrats Kelly! Very nice display as well.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice display Kelly and also congratulations on getting it done!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Finished up the Grand Slam this season and also was able to finish up the display. Only problem is I am getting the itch to continue on to the Royal and World slams. Hard to get myself to fork over that kind of money though lol.
Beautiful display. Congrats!
Old 05-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Spike

Good stuff
Old 05-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! It would be cool to add some wing feathers from each bird, would highlight the difference between the Eastern and Osceola.

Any idea what happened with the beard on the Merriams? I know they typically have thin, whispy beards that may be a bit shorter than Easterns - but that one looks broken from ice or beard rot/vitamin deficiency...

I've considered pursuing a US SuperSlam, and maybe once my last kid is out of the house I'll seriously consider it. Not sure I would pursue a Royal or World slam, mainly because I think those foreign birds look more like peacocks than turkeys..haha...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.