HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Where are they? PART II (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/425449-where-they-part-ii.html)

JW 04-10-2021 11:12 AM

Where are they? PART II

Where are they? All those turkey hunters new and old that at one time filled this forum. We went from 22 teams of 11 hunters down to nadda. And it is sad.
it was a pleasure helping you and you taught me a bunch. I know you haven't stopped Turkey hunting.
Be safe out there.
JW

elkman30 04-10-2021 03:50 PM

Can't speak for the older members who stopped hunting on turkey teams. Some newer members have not found much of a welcome in this forum which tends to dampen enthusiasm. Hope it comes back for you.

JW 04-10-2021 07:55 PM

Oh I understand the negative comments full well. Thete are several I voted to ban more than once.
Really a shame too as they are very.knowledgeable but are unwilling to share or help.

Phil from Maine 04-11-2021 06:26 AM

I keep thinking that I am going to give it up.. But that’s not going to happen. Instead I keep learning to be bored when they won’t gobble back at me. So I am more at trying to locate them than anything else. Besides the mrs likes to complain on how much I have spent just to turkey hunt. She almost went threw the roof when I bought my DSD decoys. I told think of it like I won’t need to buy anymore and they will last me forever. Besides I don’t have to hear her complain any when I am setting in my blind.. lol

I also agree that those teams were a lot of fun! I too learned a lot from everyone on those teams. I would ask a question and several members would chime in. When I came on turkey hunting was quite new to me as they had to stock the turkeys up here. So I was completely at loss trying to figure out how to hunt them and what techniques worked best.. The first three years I was batting zero birds. I kept at it asked a lot of questions until I started getting them..That was what this site had done for me. I kept feeling like I was letting my team down during those years. It has all changed for me now though..

EFH 04-11-2021 03:11 PM

I agree, the teams used to be really fun! I have been away from the site a while myself, just now finding my way back.
Tons of knowledge and experience to pull from

JW 04-11-2021 06:17 PM

Well in all honesty this is my 35th year.
I dont walk so good now. And certainly my runnin' and gunnin' days are short lived. But I still scout every day, every hour I can. And I take others out in a heart beat. Covid killed the states learn to hunt program. But it wont stop me. I have 7 people to tag along with this year.
It was this forum and the Pat Ely and Deerdust who gave me a chance here. From there teams grew to 22. With 11 to 12 members. It was the team captains who made that contest great. Some teams gelled while others struggled. And it was all for fun.
I also got the pleasure to hunt with a few. Members here. One in particular I'll never forget
R.I.P dog1! I miss you buddy.
So while there still is a few of us left. I am presenting you with a challenge.
Take somebody new out with you. It is most rewarding.
JW

CalHunter 04-11-2021 07:43 PM

I've never done a turkey team but have found that Spring Turkey season is completely addictive, perhaps even more than deer season. ;)

Timbrhuntr 04-12-2021 06:21 AM

Ya the contest could be alot of fun or very frustrating for sure. I also met a good friend through the team contest and we hunted together several times and still keep in touch ! Pretty sure I have been on this site since day one and ya there were some very knowledgeable turkey guys like Adrian Hare and Pat here !

Strut&Rut 04-12-2021 07:27 AM

There are too many forums out there now. Old gobbler is dedicated to turkeys and most states (like Michigan) have entire websites that are location specific dedicated to the sportsmen in their state and/or region.

If Covid taught us anything - it's that all time is valuable - so people tend to hang out in social media/webpages that are more active. I also admit that if I've got a turkey itch, I'm probably gonna spend 20 min watching a turkey hunting video on YouTube before hitting a webpage.

Spring season starts in Michigan on Saturday. Son and I are then headed to NY for Memorial Day to see if we can bag a few Easterns in the woods I grew up hunting. Should be a fun spring.

Hope everyone is well and happy hunting!

JW 04-12-2021 09:32 AM

Well have fun, be safe, each and everyone one of you guys and gals.

JW