Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where Are They!!?

Old 04-08-2021, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had the same luck last year up here. Others hearing gobbling in other areas and I never heard one except for a jake that I was crossing the road up in front of me. Hens everywhere where I was hunting. But that jake had me change my game.. I discovered him traveling by areas where the run offs were when the snow melted. So I started setting up in areas like that and had my best season ever. But that jake that morning was the only gobble I had heard. The spring run off areas stood to reason once I had thought about it. Up in this way the green growth starts first in those areas without going into a field.. Good luck with getting one..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-10-2021 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whenever I hear something like “nobody else on the lease / in the club hunts turkeys...” I know somebody is hunting them long beards. That somebody could be a fence hopper, a neighboring property owner (kid there of) or maybe another club member. Sorry.

Keep on the hens. Wherever they roost, will draw in a lonesome tom. Turkeys can hear other turkeys.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

So how about an update EFH? I'm curious to see what you've found. In my neck of the woods, things are slowing down some but I still hear gobbles at dawn.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The OP must be busy (hopefully having better luck) since he hasn't come back here for a week.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:52 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Arrowmaster you may have to tie me one up and let me have a crack at em! Haha! (About to send you a pic) finally broke the ice, but on another property.

Still no sign of a Tom on my lease. I’ve moved locations at daylight, but it would not be hard to hear one on roost in this select cut. I’ve hunted around a few dust bowls too only to have a couple hens and a Jake visit regular. Have not seen a strut mark or gobbler track. Due to the rain and red mud, I don’t feel like anyone is hunting but me, although I know how sneaky people are in the spring woods. There are a lot of roads to walk soft enough to keep up with where the turkeys are moving and I’ve hunted most of them. Cameras are still catching turkeys but they’ve slowed way down. Hens have split and dogwoods have greened up, it’s just that time of year. Our season usually ends last day of April if that gives an indication of where the breeding cycle is. There are a few lucky Jake’s that are becoming men on this place with no one there to put them in there place, and have seen several walking around half strut with a hen or two. They will be hangin upside down next year haha
Old 04-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of jakes. A good sign for next year.

-Jake
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got one on another property. Good size?
Old 04-12-2021, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like your at least out there enjoying the chase and not stuck on a dang computer ! I hate it when someone says good sign all those jakes for next year (no offence meant Bocajnala) I hunted a place in Kansas where I saw a ton of jakes several years in a row and the next year a ton of jakes again but only a couple longbeards lol
Old 04-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Sounds like your at least out there enjoying the chase and not stuck on a dang computer ! I hate it when someone says good sign all those jakes for next year (no offence meant Bocajnala) I hunted a place in Kansas where I saw a ton of jakes several years in a row and the next year a ton of jakes again but only a couple longbeards lol

It seems like every year in PA I see a lot of spikes, 4 points etc. All illegal bucks. And every years people say "next year should be good!" And every year it's the same thing. Spikes and 4points lol.

So I know what you mean.

My theory is that since I only rifle hunt in PA I THINK the archery guys get allot of the legal bucks before gun season comes in. And the ones that are left are smarter than me

I don't know how that would apply to seeing allot of jakes.

-Jake​​​​​
Old 04-17-2021, 04:58 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Sounds like you got one on another property. Good size?
11-1/2” beard 1-1/4” and 1-1/8” Spurs.. not sure on weight... I swear I think they are all 20lbs but he was probably in the neighborhood of 18.

Not sure if I can post pic from phone. If I can someone let me know and I’ll post up these super Jake pics too 😂