Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need turkey hunting advice >

Need turkey hunting advice

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need turkey hunting advice

Old 11-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default Need turkey hunting advice

I need some advice for FALL turkey hunting. I'm not much of a spring hunter or a turkey hunter in general. I prefer to hunt in the fall. I've put some other threads on here about guns ammo and stuff but not about strategies. Can I get some advice for fall turkey hunting (calling, cleaning/processing, and best times to hunt). Thanks
Old 11-17-2020, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Advice works better if we know what your hunting area is like and how you prefer to hunt. Are you on public or private land? Lots of pressure or none? How big is the area? Do you have birds that are always there or are they simply crossing the property you hunt? What kind of terrain are you hunting? Do you have the opportunity to see where the birds roost or not? Are you calling behind decoys or running and gunning? There are a lot of questions that would help tailor any advice given to you.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:36 AM
JW
Super Moderator

My best advice. Spend time here within our Turkey hunt forums and read. Our users have posted many good tips to help just about anybody in just about any Turkey hunting situation both spring and fall.
Then get out there and try them. Learn from your mistakes as we all make them.
I have spent years learning and still do at age 70.
JW

Last edited by JW; 11-18-2020 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
Advice works better if we know what your hunting area is like and how you prefer to hunt. Are you on public or private land? Lots of pressure or none? How big is the area? Do you have birds that are always there or are they simply crossing the property you hunt? What kind of terrain are you hunting? Do you have the opportunity to see where the birds roost or not? Are you calling behind decoys or running and gunning? There are a lot of questions that would help tailor any advice given to you.
Where I'm hunting is a mixture of areas. Most of the property is brush and hardwoods/pines. There's a creek that runs through the property with several hills and draws/creek bottoms and swamps. There are agricultural fields(soybeans, corn, cotton, ) on the neighboring property's. As well as some cutover on the other properties. Not much pressure, except.the people on the other properties hunt them in the spring. As far as decoy or run and gun I like to do a mixture of both. They do roost on the property sometimes. But I've noticed they tend to roost in the pines on the neighboring property. However they do travel through our property quite regularly. I usually see them in the open hardwoods looking for acorns or in the pines getting ready to roost Most times when I see them is when I'm deer or squirrel hunting(don't think a 1oz slug is suitable turkey ammo or a 22 lr) The property is about 60-70 acres. The river runs the very back of the property ( the creek and the river are separate water areas)
And it is private land
Old 11-18-2020, 05:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

You are correct about the 1 oz slug or a 22LR. Both are illegal. Do check your regulations.

JW
Old 11-18-2020, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

again check to see what legal rules on what calibers can and cannot be used first

next, many turkeys will still come to calling , both spring and fall
in the fall one of the more productive ways to hunt turkeys IMO< is, find a flock and bust it up, then try calling one into you
in many states rifles are allowed to be used for fall turkey hunting, so a 22 MAYBE legal, pending what state, but you have to check before doing so
if not, basic shotgun rounds made for turkeys work very well, as do many other rifle calibers larger than a 22 rim fire!
another way to hunt turkeys in the fall is just like in the spring time, roost them the night before and set up and call them in off the roost
other wise, its about finding active food sources they prefer and setting up, calling, or still hunting near the food sources!

Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to run and gun myself. I've found that it's easier if I'm geared up for turkeys instead of trying to find one by luck while hunting other critters. Since you have private property, have you tried any cameras to get some idea of when and where the turkeys come onto your property? It can help you to plan your day and be in position for when turkeys move across the property.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
I tend to run and gun myself. I've found that it's easier if I'm geared up for turkeys instead of trying to find one by luck while hunting other critters. Since you have private property, have you tried any cameras to get some idea of when and where the turkeys come onto your property? It can help you to plan your day and be in position for when turkeys move across the property.
I do have a few cameras up. I mostly turkeys walking by my deer stand at least once a week at about 1:00p.m. they're almost always hens although i do get some pretty nice gobblers on camera sometimes
Old 11-21-2020, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That gives you a chance to setup for them. Camo out and be very still or use a ground blind.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

do a lost yelp on a boxcall, some places especially in large tracts of timber in the big mountains, they will call all day, learn to do the kee-kee run call for calling in young turkeys when the flock has been busted up. hunting mature gobblers in the fall will drive you insane!
RR