HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   #2 turkey load??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/424449-2-turkey-load.html)

Whitetailturkey01 11-12-2020 07:36 AM

#2 turkey load???

I was looking for ammo online when I found some remington #2 12 gauge loads. Now the maximum allowed shot size here in VA during spring turkey season is #2 shot, and I started thinking," How would these work for turkeys." So there's my question. How do you guys think these #2 shot loads would work on turkeys. Would they be over kill or would they be a good Long range load. Im pretty sure these are probably more suited for coyotes they being lead shot, but I thought id might ask anyway. So what's everyone's opinion?

CalHunter 11-12-2020 09:55 AM

When we could use lead in CA, I used to use # 2 lead. It worked well with a full choke. You have less shot to make your pattern than # 5's so you're going to want to pattern your shotgun at different distances to see how well it does. I was able to get solid kills at distances up to 40+ yards but it was aiming my shotgun very precisely at the head (not the neck) and I was using 3.5" shells. CA prohibited lead so I had to switch to steel which sucked in my gun with my choke. I then switched to bismuth with Hevi Shot and my gun is back on track. I'm working through different chokes now to improve my shotgun pattern and am getting tempted to try tungsten loads. But I digress. :D

The point is you should try # 2's in your gun and then compare them against 5's or even 6's. If you don't like your pattern, research after market chokes for your gun and see how well they pattern. It's more work and more cost but we owe it to game as hunters and it's a lot more satisfying to know you have your gun dialed in. I say your gun because what does best in your gun could be totally different that what does best in my gun. There are a ton of reviews and posts on the net about just about every single shotgun model out there.

After you finish patterning with different shot sizes & chokes, you will figure out what works best in your gun and what your distance limitations are. Not every gun/choke/shot size combo is a turkey killer past 40 yards. Many are not. But you will figure out how to get the most performance from your gun which is very satisfying. Best of luck and let us know how it works out. I don't think we have a turkey shotgun patterning topic that functions as a tutorial for other members and guests so perhaps you will be able to accomplish that with your posts.

elkman30 11-12-2020 10:30 AM

Buy a box of those 2s and pattern test them at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards. Its your gun so only you can figger out if they work good enough in it or not. Try some 5s, 6s & 7s just to see what happens. If you can't get something lined out to 40 yards with lead, you need a different choke.

jonathanwhite1120 11-13-2020 01:13 AM

i think these will be long range. My friend also discuss about this. And yes id will be asked.

Whitetailturkey01 11-13-2020 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by jonathanwhite1120 (Post 4383832)
i think these will be long range. My friend also discuss about this. And yes id will be asked.

Ok. Theyre out of stock right now so I cant order any. Will.have to look somewhere else.

jonathanGold 03-03-2021 11:38 PM

Its ok i will order again please let me know when you are back in stock

JonathanGoldLeaf 03-03-2021 11:43 PM

Its ok i will order again please let me know when you are back in stock

excalibur43 03-05-2021 11:32 PM

I don't think that there would be enough pellets to shoot a good pattern at longer distances. It only takes one pellet in the right spot to put a turkey down, but I think you would be minimizing your chances. That's the key to a good turkey gun and load, how well it can pattern out to varying distances. I use a combo of #7 & #9 TSS in my 12 gauge, and #9 in my 20 gauge. Great patterns and also great distance!

JW 03-06-2021 02:17 PM

Well for me. Call them to less than 20 yards and it dont matter what shot size you use. What gauge shotgun you use IF YOU HAVE PATTERNED CORRECTLY.
At 20 yards the cheapest 2 3/4 shot gun round works. I dont care who made it
And you save money over that high priced turkey rounds.
But that is me and the goal I use to Turkey hunt. Less than 20!
JW

excalibur43 03-08-2021 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4389024)
Well for me. Call them to less than 20 yards and it dont matter what shot size you use. What gauge shotgun you use IF YOU HAVE PATTERNED CORRECTLY.
At 20 yards the cheapest 2 3/4 shot gun round works. I dont care who made it
And you save money over that high priced turkey rounds.
But that is me and the goal I use to Turkey hunt. Less than 20!
JW

Yes, any shot shell would work at that range, and any choke as well. The only trouble is, not every turkey will come that close, especially one's that have been hunted hard or shot at before. I can see that the challenge would be to try to get them at a close range of less than 20 yards, the con to that would be that a lot of times you would have turkey's that will mark their spot at 40-50 yards and won't come any closer for whatever reason. Those days, you go home empty handed, where a well patterned turkey gun and shotshell combination will still fill that tag.