Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

#2 turkey load???

Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree with the above statement.
But filling a tag to me is not as important as it once was.
My personal challenge is 20 yards or less. It's about the hunt.
BUT THE REAL KEY.
Pattern that shotgun so you know your lethal range and stick to that. The last thing you want to do is wound a bird.
And my other point is shell cost. At less than 20 yards anything that is legal shot size for your state works.
I'm cheap!
JW
Old 03-09-2021, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
I agree with the above statement.
But filling a tag to me is not as important as it once was.
My personal challenge is 20 yards or less. It's about the hunt.
BUT THE REAL KEY.
Pattern that shotgun so you know your lethal range and stick to that. The last thing you want to do is wound a bird.
And my other point is shell cost. At less than 20 yards anything that is legal shot size for your state works.
I'm cheap!
JW
I agree. It's YOUR hunt, make the most of it. Everyone has their own agenda about what a great hunt is to them. Be safe and have fun.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Well, this is just my $0.02 but I learned to turkey hunt in 1975 while stationed in Ft. Lee, VA with the US Army. My gun was a circa 1921 Ithaca® Lefever™ Nitro Special™ first-year production 16 ga, with 28" barrels choked M&F.

I loaded the left full choke barrel with Federal® Magnum 1¼oz #6 Pb. The right barrel was stuffed with Federal® Magnum 1¼oz #2 Pb. That was an ABSOLUTE TURKEY SLAYING COMBINATION!

The left full choke barrel was an ABSOLUTE 40yd killer! A couple of times when the range was stretched I knocked the bird down only to have him get back up and skedaddle! That was when my right Modified barrel barked with#2 Pb. That ALWAYS put the turkey's beak in the dirt. It is a viable combination for those of you that can still use it!

Where I currently live in WA state we are limited to #4 and smaller shot size. As I am long in the tooth, 71, I use a 20ga Mossberg® loaded with Winchester® Longbeard® 1¼oz Pb #6 up the pipe. The tube is filled with a hoarded stash of Winchester® Supreme® 1¼oz #4 Pb.

It works...

Old 03-11-2021, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta admit I'm a little surprised that Washington hasn't gone lead free yet. Good for you guys.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Angry

Originally Posted by elkman30
I Gotta admit I'm a little surprised that Washington hasn't gone lead-free yet. Good for you guys.
I am sure the tree hugger, left-wing, woke people will soon demand it. WA State has become a left-wing feces hole!