Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Winchester Long Beard XR >

Winchester Long Beard XR

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Winchester Long Beard XR

Old 10-31-2020, 07:54 PM
Spike

Default Winchester Long Beard XR

I have some Long Beard XR's 3 inch #5 shot. The box says they're lead turkey loads. But Midwayusa says theyre copper plated. Which are they. And can you shoot copper plated lead shot thru a lead only choke?
Old 11-01-2020, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. Copper plated or not, it's still lead shot. I shoot them through my lead-only Undertaker choke. Devastating patterns.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Copper plated gives you better penetration.
I use copper plated Winchester Supremes #4.
JW
Old 11-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JW
Copper plated gives you better penetration.
I use copper plated Winchester Supremes #4.
JW
Thanks for the answers. I wasn't sure about copper plated shot thru a lead only choke, but I patterned them (the 1 3/4 oz load) and had no issues. J.W. How does 4 shot compare to 5 or 6 shot? I know 5's and 6's have more pellets. Is there any difference within 30 yards? I'm wondering which would be better for 30 yards and closer. Thanks again for the answers.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Many do use #5 and swear by that size. Others like #6.
Yes #6 has the highest pellet count but I was looking at velocity. #4s gave me an extra 5 yds down range in my 12 gauge.
I use #5s in my 20 gauge.
But my goal now when I turkey hunt is to take my shots less than 20 yds or closer. My average for birds taken is around 23 yds.
yes I have taken longer shots in my early years but now I want them close.
My advice is to pattern with different shot sizes. Some firearms just shoot different loads better. And some with different chokes.

My goal when patterning using a Turkey head target is a consistent 8 to 12 pellet holes in the neck vertebrae, skull and eye. That is all I look at. When I drop lower than that then I have determined what idnt my lethal range.
I also highly suggest sites. Using sites do a few things for you.
1. It forces you to keep your head down on the stock as you must align the back ramp to the front post.
2. With today's tight Turkey chokes you do have tight pattern. So treat that shotgun like a rifle as you are aiming at small target, ie. The head.
3. I like to align my sites or, my scope so my aim point is centered on the waddles (where the skin stops and feathers start). Its easy to see on any bird.
4. That waddle pinpoint is the bottom center of my oval shot pattern. Why? By aiming there I know I am circling the whole head and neck.
its like a trap gun. You float the clay target on top of your barrel bead rather than blot it out like you would with a field shotgun. I hope that makes sense.
5. Always pattern to know your lethal maximum ange. Know your equipment.
When I set up to adjust sites I start at 10 yds with cheap trap loads and try to knock out a 25 cent piece dot. Trap loads are easier on your shoulder. When I think I have my sites aligned then I use my Turkey loads and tweak from there.
good luck
JW

Last edited by JW; 11-07-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Whitetailturkey01
I know 5's and 6's have more pellets. Is there any difference within 30 yards? I'm wondering which would be better for 30 yards and closer. Thanks again for the answers.
With the Winchester shells, I have found that my gun patterns #4's just as tightly as #6's, so I use them. I like the impact of #4 pellets better at longer ranges. And, I can't get my gun to pattern #5's consistently.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies. I'm kinda new to turkey hunting. Just trying to learn as much as I can. My 870 patterns okay-ish with them. That's at 40 yards with a factory choke. Not sure which choke(it comes in the 21 inch 12 gauge 870 turkey barrel) I think it's a .687 constriction choke (correct me if I'm wrong) I think I'll try to find some Long beard xr's in 1 3/4 oz #4 shot. Sounds like 4s will have more killing power than 5s at longer distances. P.S. I know this is off topic, but if this choke is a .687 choke then can i shoot 00 buckshot out of it for deer. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:12 AM
JW
Super Moderator

From what I can find 0.687 construction falls into the extra full Remington Turkey choke category.
Pattern that.
I use a Hastings Extra Full Turkey choke on a Rem 21" cantelever slugger barrel (is Rem choke compatible) and my choke is 0.663 constriction.
And to shoot buckshot. I
I would use a Modified choke.
Do Not use a Turkey choke.

If you are going to hunt deer. Use a savored slug. Far more accurate and lethal.
Purely my opinion.
JW
Old 11-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take them from you if you don't want them
Old 12-01-2020, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
From what I can find 0.687 construction falls into the extra full Remington Turkey choke category.
Pattern that.
I use a Hastings Extra Full Turkey choke on a Rem 21" cantelever slugger barrel (is Rem choke compatible) and my choke is 0.663 constriction.
And to shoot buckshot. I
I would use a Modified choke.
Do Not use a Turkey choke.

If you are going to hunt deer. Use a savored slug. Far more accurate and lethal.
Purely my opinion.
JW
That's a " Saboted " slug, and they are designed for fully rifled barrels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.