Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Winchester Long Beard XR >

Winchester Long Beard XR

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Winchester Long Beard XR

Old 12-02-2020, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Whitetailturkey01
Thanks for the answers. I wasn't sure about copper plated shot thru a lead only choke, but I patterned them (the 1 3/4 oz load) and had no issues. J.W. How does 4 shot compare to 5 or 6 shot? I know 5's and 6's have more pellets. Is there any difference within 30 yards? I'm wondering which would be better for 30 yards and closer. Thanks again for the answers.

I use #5 with the longbeards and it is pretty devastating. Longest shot "since I mis-judged the distance" was at 64 yards. Could have swore I was closer to 30, wide open plowed crop fields are deceiving. It leveled him with out a flop though. I'm shooting a Mossberg 835 but using 3" shells.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
I use #5 with the longbeards and it is pretty devastating. Longest shot "since I mis-judged the distance" was at 64 yards. Could have swore I was closer to 30, wide open plowed crop fields are deceiving. It leveled him with out a flop though. I'm shooting a Mossberg 835 but using 3" shells.
Ok thanks. Sounds like #5 have plenty of power for my distances. Im hunting brush woods and open hardwoods, so not far shooting. I have some Federal Heavy field game loads. ( 12 gauge 2.75 inch 1220 fps 3.25 dram eq. 1.25oz #4 shot. Would these work for 30 yards and closer. I think they would being really the only difference being they're 1 1/4 oz and the longbeards are 1 3/4 both are moving about 1200 fps and I think lead 4s have about the same energy as copper-plated 5s? But thats just my reasoning? What do you guys think. I'm looking for a lower recoil round for a friend who cant handle turkey loads. Wow I should've just made a new thread on this. Lol
Old 12-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Whitetailturkey01
Ok thanks. Sounds like #5 have plenty of power for my distances. Im hunting brush woods and open hardwoods, so not far shooting. I have some Federal Heavy field game loads. ( 12 gauge 2.75 inch 1220 fps 3.25 dram eq. 1.25oz #4 shot. Would these work for 30 yards and closer. I think they would being really the only difference being they're 1 1/4 oz and the longbeards are 1 3/4 both are moving about 1200 fps and I think lead 4s have about the same energy as copper-plated 5s? But thats just my reasoning? What do you guys think. I'm looking for a lower recoil round for a friend who cant handle turkey loads. Wow I should've just made a new thread on this. Lol
Really the 3" Winchesters are not too bad in the recoil department but as long as you are getting a good tight pattern with the shell you mentioned then they should work. Another option would be to look at a 20g and get some of the tss loads. I used one this past year to flat out level a bird. They have that in a 12g load as well in a 2 3/4" shell that may not kick much as far as turkey loads go.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
IMO Winchester XR's are the best distance turkey shell out there. I also use a Mossberg 835 3.5" #5 shells with the Carlson's Long Beard XR Turkey Choke made for the shell. I shot one last year at 60 yards and one at 50 yards the year before. Both quick kills. If i was expecting close shots less than 30yds I would use a different shell or try a different choke. My current rig shoots too tight of a pattern for close shots.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Longbeards are great shells, but after using TSS, I won't use anything else. I buy my TSS shot in #7 and #9 and mix 1 oz. of each for a 2 oz load, or sometimes 1 7/8 oz. load, and reload them myself. They cover a turkey target at 40 yards!
Old 12-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Spike

I have found the ultimate turkey hunting shell. The new Hevi 18 TSS Turkey shells from Hevishot are nothing short of amazing. I cannot get over how much
energy they retain downrange and impressive they pattern. I also love the Hevishot Magnum Blend shells that have a variety of shot sizes in one incredible shell.
I decided to go with the 3" 7's in the Hevi 18 shells.