HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   One week left in the season and need some help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/423470-one-week-left-season-need-some-help.html)

Tyl3r 05-23-2020 02:54 PM

One week left in the season and need some help

so I have been seeing 2 groups of toms and jakes almost daily and no matter what I do they just won’t come to my side of the field

any tips to bring them over to my side?

CalHunter 05-23-2020 03:25 PM

Probably need more information and others will follow with more ideas and tactics but...
Is this public or private property? Do other people hunt this field or near it? Are other people within earshot calling turkeys as well?

How big is the field? What is the terrain like? Is there some kind of food plot or naturally occurring food source for the turkeys? Is there brush or cover on your side of the field? Is there brush and cover all the way around the field? Do the turkeys stay on the other side of the field the entire day? Do you have any photos of the filed or perhaps some kind of drawn map (nothing that will give away your spot)? Do you have access to the whole field? Where do the turkeys roost? What time do they show up on the other side of the field or is that where they first fly down to?

What style or method are you hunting with? Calling with no decoys? Calling with decoys? Spot and stalk? Run and gun? Different members on here hunt with different styles and can give you different ideas and tips on their preferred style of hunting. I know I've asked you a ton of questions but without more info, people would be giving you generalized ideas or thoughts that might not apply to your specific situation at all. Hopefully this generates a lot of help for you.

JW 05-24-2020 05:05 AM

The birds are telling you the area they like.
Be on 'their' side before them.
Dont have permission to hunt that side?
Move as close as you legally can keeping in mind not to shoot across property lines.

Use decoys. Start with a hen or 2. Carefully on using Tom's or Jake's but if you witness Tom's chasing iff a Jake or two get your Jake decoy out there slightly in front of a laying hen.
And if you use a strutter remember sub dominant move by Tom's is to put their backside at another Turkey. Tom's seeing the butt fan if another Tom may come in quicker.
lastly dont over call. It's a cat and mouse game.
If you call, he answers, wait him out till he calls and then you answer.
If you get lucky and you get into a bitch fest with another hen. A hen answers your call. Concentrate on matching what she us saying but just do it a bit louder and quicker.
Cut the hen off each time she calls to you.
If she goes quiet so do you. Usually that sucks the hen right to you.

mrbb 05-24-2020 08:21 AM

if you have permission to go to where they are, go there before sun up and be set up when they get there, if not
as you said, they won't come to you, MOVE on else where, lots of turkeys out there, why keep messing with one's that don';t want to be where you are?

option 2, if the place there at is AGAIN< open to hunting by YOU< you can always go in and BUST them up, make them leave in all different directions
and they try and call them back together, as one might do in the Fall, but this, again might make them even harder to call too, pending how much time they have hearing you call,
turkey's can be pretty smart critters and learn who is after them to a point( sounds your making they maybe can ID) they talk to each other daily and know new birds as to there regulars! IMO!

Phil from Maine 05-24-2020 02:23 PM

Here the birds have learned not to come out in the open. So the hunting can be different. I set up back in the woods a little so they wouldn’t need to be in the open. So it maybe different but they are still turkeys. Then once I know that they are flying down I will give a call and shake my cap to sound like a fly down. Then give it a minute and give a call. Then shake my cap and give another call. After that wait for a half hour and give one more call and wait them out. I just want them to think that a couple of birds flew down to help get their interest. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. But if one gobbled then it already knows you are there. So just wait him out.

Tyl3r 05-24-2020 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4376187)
Probably need more information and others will follow with more ideas and tactics but...
Is this public or private property? Do other people hunt this field or near it? Are other people within earshot calling turkeys as well?

How big is the field? What is the terrain like? Is there some kind of food plot or naturally occurring food source for the turkeys? Is there brush or cover on your side of the field? Is there brush and cover all the way around the field? Do the turkeys stay on the other side of the field the entire day? Do you have any photos of the filed or perhaps some kind of drawn map (nothing that will give away your spot)? Do you have access to the whole field? Where do the turkeys roost? What time do they show up on the other side of the field or is that where they first fly down to?

What style or method are you hunting with? Calling with no decoys? Calling with decoys? Spot and stalk? Run and gun? Different members on here hunt with different styles and can give you different ideas and tips on their preferred style of hunting. I know I've asked you a ton of questions but without more info, people would be giving you generalized ideas or thoughts that might not apply to your specific situation at all. Hopefully this generates a lot of help for you.

ok sorry for the delay, the red is where my blind is and i can hunt most of that whole east edge of the planted field. the blue is where they come in. and they roost somewhere in the black (dont know exactly where cause i cant hunt there) i cant shoot into the field so i have to use a trail on my side. where the blind is at its at the highest point of the field (the field is pretty hilly) they arent henned up its just a group of toms and jakes. i usually see them around 9 but the owners say they see them in their yard at like 11. i have tried a solo jake and hen with a jake. ive yelped at them but when i do it seems to clear them out for some reason. they do go to the middle of the field every now and then but not a ton so i have to try to call them up from the opposing edge where they enter so they can see the decoys but they clear out when i call. the other hunters hunt both opposing edges of the field.

CalHunter 05-24-2020 09:07 PM

This is an interesting challenge and I can see why you're determined to prevail (I would too). Your post above shed a lot more light on your hunting area. I'm more of a run and gun style hunter but I hunt on a private ranch with nobody else hunting within a mile or so. I call some but not a lot and am not nearly as good or knowledgeable about it as JW (he teaches turkey hunting). After looking at your picture, am I correct in assuming that you have access and hunting rights to the clear cuts to the right of your red mark in your picture? If so, I would be curious if you can set up decoys and call from further back. You mentioned other hunters are hunting on the other side of the field. It's possible they can push turkeys across to your side if they hunt them hard enough. From the times you mentioned, I would be curious if the turkeys maybe don't come towards your side of the field until later in the day. Also, you mentioned property owners telling you about where turkeys are during certain hours of the day. That's very helpful.

Where I hunt, turkeys often don't show up in a given area until around a certain hour of the day. And when they do, they're still mobile and grazing so to speak. Timing is everything if you run and gun. If you're sitting and calling with decoys, patience becomes everything. Read what JW and Phil are telling you about calling a little and waiting. I know that's really hard to do (part of why I run and gun) but it can make a huge difference if you exercise the patience and don't get busted moving. I'm sure the other guys will give you a lot of even more specific advice and tactics to try. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you this season.

Tyl3r 05-25-2020 08:25 AM

Ya i would love to try and run and gun but im 15 and so i can only hunt with a bow without my dad. I might stop calling all together, every call ive done seems to spook them for some reason so I might just end up trying an all day sit sometime. Ive never heard them make any sound either which is strange cause all the other neighboring propertys have them still gobbling. And yes I can hunt all the open fields to the right but im not sure how often theyre back there so i set up trail cams. Thanks for the help CalHunter.

Tyl3r 05-25-2020 08:34 AM

Ok thanks JW, not sure what decoys to use at this point cause any call i do seems to make them clear the area for some odd reason.

JW 05-25-2020 12:50 PM

Well sorry for bring so slow to respond.
Have you tried a single struttin Tom 5 yards (5 steps) on a field edge you know they use to feed and you can hunt.

Be cautious with your calling. Very soft clucks will be about it. The softer the better. Dont get aggressive.
With you mentioning other hunters you might be in a quandary as the birds have been bombarded with over calling.
We wish it was easier to post pictures.

AND THANKS CAL.
JW