Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Maine bird down.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the fine, well deserved spring tom !
Old 05-12-2020, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you Timbrhuntr..
Old 05-12-2020, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a great bird! When they are silent it can make for a loooong hunt. Glad you pushed on and was successful.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it has been very long hunting with no gobbling. But I had seen a few and knew that they were there. I saw a group of 6 hens one day and around a quarter of a mile from them a big tom making his way towards them. But he never came in.. At least I know where he is still hanging around at and will try him again maybe Thursday morning.. Yes and thank you kellyquin
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I let a young tom walk away this morning. I would guess between 16 to 17 pounds. I had worked last night and decided to try hunting for a little while. I was planning on driving a little over an hour away when I saw they had opened up a section of gated roads. So I drove up the dirt road instead. I got up to where I was planning on turning around and I see a tom run across the road. So I stopped and got out and put a shell in. As I closed the breach I hear him gobble. I couldn’t believe it as that was the first gobble that I have heard out hunting. He was down an embankment by a lake. That embankment is steep and around 50 feet down. So for the heck of it I make a couple of clucking sounds. Then I hear him gobble a couple of more times and was coming closer. So I just stood there and waited. He came right back up on that dirt road again around 25 yards of me. It was then that I realized that he wasn’t all that big and hunting season goes on here until June 6. So I let him walk away. I know that I am going to wonder if I see another bird again but I already have a nice bird anyway..