HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How will corona effect your season? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/423239-how-will-corona-effect-your-season.html)

Bocajnala 04-12-2020 03:13 AM

How will corona effect your season?

How will all the shut downs change your plans?

I have a whole week off in early May and I had planned on spending as much of it as needed in Pennsylvania after gobblers in hopes of getting my 'triple trophy' (a bear, a buck, and a spring gobbler all on the same license year) . If I got one in PA I would then come back to Ohio and hunt the mornings and get some stuff done around home.

We still have a while until May. Hopefully I'm able to will go.

Will your plans change at all?

-Jake

Timbrhuntr 04-12-2020 06:46 AM

Well so far every state I was going to has shut down for NRs so not looking good for killing a mess of turkey breasts this year lol

Coastal Mountaineer 04-12-2020 06:50 AM

Got my gobbler yesterday here in NC. We're allowed two so I've got a few more weeks to enjoy the woods and fields here. But, my other passion, bass fishing, took a hit when our county commissioners closed all ramps, public and private, in our county. Ramps in other counties are still open but they're so crowded, it sometimes takes up to 2 hours to launch or load boat. Not going to fight this. Still have some ponds, but I really enjoy getting out on the boat.

Curiously, our County Commissioners let the golf courses remain open? Guess the Commissioners all play golf.

JW 04-12-2020 04:49 PM

I only hunt 2 states now that I can buy numerous tags in my own state.
But I am questioning if I should.
Campgrounds are closed. Ok so where can I legally sleep in my truck?
And I really dont want to do that. I've gotten too old.
I will hunt the last 3 weeks as I can stay at my north home. But seriously questioning the 1st 3 weeks.
I've already called all the landowners and said my annual meet and greet will be from a distance if at all.

So we will see

JW

Wingbone 04-13-2020 01:06 AM

Next week's trip to South Dakota has been canceled. No turkey camp in May this year. We'll hunt from home.

mrbb 04-13-2020 10:29 AM

well no changes for me here, I can walk out my door and hunt if I wanted too,
but , honestly, I stopped hunting turkeys a few yrs back now!
so, no changes on me to hunt them now HAHA!
have seen a few nice toms strutting this past week in some food plots and some gobbling on nicer days when I was outside!
actually seen and heard them gobbling here about 4 weeks ago too
all them warm days way early I think mess with them some, as seems every yr anymore I hear the gobbling earlier and earlier
green up seems to come on sooner too!

Timbrhuntr 04-13-2020 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4373847)
well no changes for me here, I can walk out my door and hunt if I wanted too,
but , honestly, I stopped hunting turkeys a few yrs back now!

I have turkeys behind my house too and you used to be able to hunt them until they amalgamated several towns and decided to enact a no discharge of firearms rule, as far as not hunting them they would need to pry my turkey gun from my cold dead hands first lol

Champlain Islander 04-13-2020 01:23 PM

I too can hunt them right out of the house. I usually hunt them if I hear a gobbler in the area otherwise I am fishing. haven't heard one yet but have 2 plus weeks until the opener.

Strut&Rut 04-13-2020 01:56 PM

I had 2 conferences, one in VT and the other in DC, and associated hunts planned in Upstate NY. I definitely won't be hunting NY the first week of May with my oldest brother. I may still be able to hunt NY over the Memorial day weekend and possibly the last week, it will depend on if/how this pandemic cools off.

Strut&Rut 04-13-2020 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4373810)
I only hunt 2 states now that I can buy numerous tags in my own state.
But I am questioning if I should.
Campgrounds are closed. Ok so where can I legally sleep in my truck?
And I really dont want to do that. I've gotten too old.
I will hunt the last 3 weeks as I can stay at my north home. But seriously questioning the 1st 3 weeks.
I've already called all the landowners and said my annual meet and greet will be from a distance if at all.

So we will see

JW

JW - you should not visit MI this year - most of the Yoopers don't even want us lowlanders driving to the NLP or UP, let along nonresidents. Some cities up North have even asked residents in the SLP to forego using their northern vacation homes and cottages this summer (I thought that was a bit extreme/ballsy).

However, the number of COVID cases in the NLP and UP combined are (at least the last time I added them together) collectively less than 100, minus a few counties near Detroit that the DNR considers in the lower NLP.

The MI DNR is following the latest executive order which restricts travel, and the DNR has recommended everyone hunt 'locally' this year, which is as close to home as possible and definitely not traveling 4hrs to camp.