HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   New turkey gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/423170-new-turkey-gun.html)

Huntnsonvagun 04-03-2020 05:30 PM

New turkey gun?

I am currently shooting a Remington spt 12 ga rhino 660 choke with nitro heavy shot ... wanting to get into a auto turkey gun... what would you go out and buy fir a complete setup high to mid range price guns?

Champlain Islander 04-04-2020 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Huntnsonvagun (Post 4373260)
I am currently shooting a Remington spt 12 ga rhino 660 choke with nitro heavy shot ... wanting to get into a auto turkey gun... what would you go out and buy fir a complete setup high to mid range price guns?

Benelli Super Black Eagle is a real nice and fairly light weight auto-loader for turkey hunting. Mine has a 24 inch barrel with a custom choke. Anything inside 60 yards is dead but I won't shoot at a turkey that far.

mrbb 04-04-2020 02:53 PM

personally IMO< the best plan here is go look at and hold as many models as you THINK you might like , and pick the one that fits you best
as what gun I like or recommend , may not fut you and be a worthless suggestion
there are tons of great turkey specific marketed semi auto's on the market, stick with brand names and go hold some
nothing beats seeing how a gun feels in your hands! and I mean YOUR hands, not mine or someone else!

JW 04-05-2020 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4373311)
personally IMO< the best plan here is go look at and hold as many models as you THINK you might like , and pick the one that fits you best
as what gun I like or recommend , may not fut you and be a worthless suggestion
there are tons of great turkey specific marketed semi auto's on the market, stick with brand names and go hold some
nothing beats seeing how a gun feels in your hands! and I mean YOUR hands, not mine or someone else!

well said.
"Gun fit" is everything. A firearm that fits you let's you hit your target.

JW

JGFLHunter 04-05-2020 11:46 AM

I like my Weatherby PA-459 (realtree x-green camo)I solely using it for Turkey hunting and have no other purpose for it. Consider if it will be strictly for Turkey or will you use it for other types of hunting? I don't see the reason for a semi automatic shotgun just for Turkey's (my opinion). This is a mid range price and highly recommend. I use a Carlson Choke Tube and 3" Winchester XR 1 3/4oz #5. Good combo for my shotgun.

Bocajnala 04-05-2020 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4373356)
well said.
"Gun fit" is everything. A firearm that fits you let's you hit your target.

JW

It sure is!

AND

Personal recommendations can be useful to! And help guide a person into what to look for at a shop.

I don't use anything special. A short barreled Mossberg 500 12ga mainly, so I can't help you on the auto loader question.

-Jake

grizzly 2 04-06-2020 04:02 AM

Stock fit can be critical. I have two older 870's. One was scoped for deer and had an older high combed trap stock with beautiful wood I picked up at a visit to Ilion, NY.and the other had a shorter barrel with firesights and a short stock which became my turkey gun as well as a loaner deer gun because of the choke tubes. That shorter than usual stock has become valuable for shots from all sorts of body positions. I once got in a jam with the longer stock on the scoped shotgun when I had to shoot sideways from a makeshift ground blind and started running out of eye relief. The shorter than normal stock is so much more versatile. You never know when turkey hunting if you will be crawling, sitting, standing or kneeling around a tree or if you suddenly need to make a 30 yard shot on a running bird. What feels good in the store may not in some contorted shooting position.

kellyguinn 04-06-2020 02:53 PM

I am using a old Mossberg 835 and it throws awesome patterns with 3" longbeards using a primos jellyhead choke. Only downside is it kicks like a mule! I just bought a Winchester SXP 20g Long Beard for the "wife". Can't wait for it to get here so I can make sure it shoots well for her...

JW 04-07-2020 10:41 AM

That comment about "My Mossberg kicking",
it's because the mass of the firearm is all wrong.
You have a hollow plastic buttock on most.
Fill it with something or/ and add a bbetter butt stock cushion really helps the "kick".

Least from my experience as I helped set up several Mossbergs.

JW

mrbb 04-07-2020 12:49 PM

recoil can have many ways to be tamed in most all guns,
from changing stocks(not all stocks absorb or displace recoil the same)
materials of stocks matter!
length of pull will also matter, back to FIT< and how your holding it when shooting, many times guns fut well standing, but then sitting or kneeling, your out of form and get a lot more felt recoil.
but I feel a lot of folks with turkey guns are always trying to shoot the most powerful round they can find
3.5 mags loaded hot, produce a LOT of FT LBS of recoil, period, so when you have a poor fitting gun, or poor stock build/materials, it will amplify things,
simplest thing to do is just drop down to a little less shell, a 3 inch will kill a turkey just as a 3.5 will, same with a 2-3/4" round
if your recoil sensitive, just learn to call/set up better and wait a little longer, and you'll kill plenty of turkeys with less recoil and save $$$ along the way
no need to change stock make mods to gun, and ammo will even be cheaper LOL

don't get caught up in needed all the power in a 3.5 to kill a turkey or a duck or a goose!

not bashing 3.5's either, just saying, if recoil bothers you, there are ways to make it easier on you and be successful with the gun you have now!