HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Can't wait! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/423147-cant-wait.html)

kellyguinn 03-31-2020 06:52 AM

Can't wait!

Ordered a Winchester sxp Long Beard 20g from Midway last week. They think it will ship out on the 9th from the supplier. Our season starts the 6th so I'll be using the old 835 to kick off but man I am chomping at the bit to get it all set up for "the wife". I'm sure she won't mind if i get it all broke in for her lol. :party0005:

WVDanimal 04-01-2020 07:32 AM

Come on now, the 20 ga wagon passed long ago. You're supposed to get a 410 w #15 TSS shot that kills out to 70 yards :)) We used the Federeal TSS #8/10 in my wife's 20 for the boy's first bird a few weeks ago. I'm not necessarily a fan of going all the way up to 10 shot but like the idea of pattern density to give him room for error since he's only 7yrs old. We weren't going to shoot over 30yds anyway. I gotta tell ya, the pattern is very very impressive at 30. I now fear that the wife's 20 has now been confiscated by the lil man and he now calls it "his" turkey gun.

JW 04-01-2020 10:19 AM

TSS #9.5 Used out of my Taurus Judge 45/410 was impressive.

And R&G what a light firearm to carry.

JW

kellyguinn 04-02-2020 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by WVDanimal (Post 4373154)
Come on now, the 20 ga wagon passed long ago. You're supposed to get a 410 w #15 TSS shot that kills out to 70 yards :)) We used the Federeal TSS #8/10 in my wife's 20 for the boy's first bird a few weeks ago. I'm not necessarily a fan of going all the way up to 10 shot but like the idea of pattern density to give him room for error since he's only 7yrs old. We weren't going to shoot over 30yds anyway. I gotta tell ya, the pattern is very very impressive at 30. I now fear that the wife's 20 has now been confiscated by the lil man and he now calls it "his" turkey gun.

It really is for the wife but I can't promise I won't use it for her. ha. I ordered some Federal in #9 to give a go and also will pick up some longbeard in either 5 or 6 to see how that patterns. They said it probably won't ship till the 9th so it won't make it here for the opening but it should be here before I head to the SE part of the state for the eastern season. I will probably take it with me if I ever make it down to Florida also. Hoping to draw out next year. I still like my 12g for the open country hunting I do out in West Oklahoma just cause I have a heck of a time judging yardages out there. Have been known to take a bit further shots thinking they were much closer. Need to start setting a marker out at my limit to help I guess.

kellyguinn 04-15-2020 07:01 AM

It took forever but Midway USA finally got the gun shipped. Ordered the dang thing March 25. Should be at the FFL sometime tomorrow.

kellyguinn 04-21-2020 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the new gun. Can't wait to get is sighted in.

RPD63 04-21-2020 09:20 AM

Sharp looking setup. Your “wife” is going to love it. lol

kellyguinn 04-22-2020 05:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few patterns. The white is using the Federal #9 and the black is using #7. Both at 40 Yrds and a Carlson Long Beard choke.

Using the #9s I ended up with 283 hits in a 10" circle and 159 in a 6". Didn't count the 7s

Phil from Maine 04-22-2020 05:43 AM

Looks like a nice shotgun.. Here we can only use from 4 to 6 shot. Nothing bigger or nothing smaller.. I love those Federal Supremes..

Bucknwfl 05-11-2020 12:07 PM

I swapped over to TSS #7 in the wife’s gun last minute which is rare for me. I wanted to get a few more pellets out there. I think the copper plated 6’s were too tight close up. Anyway I was impressed and I am a die hard copper 6’s guy as they have never disappointed. I would dare say her 20 guage is as hard hitting as my 12 guage 3.5 ultimag

thanks

buck