Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Badlands turkey vest

Old 03-15-2020, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense intended to either of you but it seems like you both have a different main feature in mind. Strut's make or break item seems to be a Thermocell holder while Cal's seems to be a hydration bladder. It's hard to stay hidden when you're swatting at skeeters and water bottles are never that quiet in the field. Since a lot of turkey vests don't have either, I can understand why each of you would wait to buy one that had your personal prerequisite feature, especially at that price point. For that kind of money, a vest should have everything you want in it.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
No offense intended to either of you but it seems like you both have a different main feature in mind. Strut's make or break item seems to be a Thermocell holder while Cal's seems to be a hydration bladder. It's hard to stay hidden when you're swatting at skeeters and water bottles are never that quiet in the field. Since a lot of turkey vests don't have either, I can understand why each of you would wait to buy one that had your personal prerequisite feature, especially at that price point. For that kind of money, a vest should have everything you want in it.

Actually, we're both just looking for a new vest, haha! I know Cal does quite a bit of run-n-gun and is therefore looking specifically for something that has a water bladder. We both commented to Badlands during the R&D development of their vest - and the Nomad was new for 2019 and redesigned for 2020, which is why I'm trying it for $80. I also have a 14yo son who turkey hunts - so if I decide I don't like all the features of the Nomad, he'll get it to use until he decides to find one that better suits him.

And for me, the Thermocell pocket isn't a necessity because I currently use the boxcall pocket in my MO vest for this purpose - but a dedicated pocket is a nice feature and shows Nomad also listened to hunters when designing the vest. It's also something my son would absolutely require - we lived in the Caribbean for 3 years and mosquitos are his worst nightmare, I think he'd rather deal with a rabid grizzly bear than swarming skeeters...
Old 03-19-2020, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

True dat. A lot of people fall into a style of turkey hunting they prefer and then look for gear that works for that style.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Still using my Bucklick creek vest. Nice self contained drop down seat folds out of the back. Seat has straps that allow seat to support the back without leaning against a tree. I still set up on a tree for safety but don't need to necessarily rest my back against it for support. That helps when irregular trees are around. Pouch in the back can carry my 3 decoys and a bird if I score.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Frank I have the same vest. I let the grandkids use it as I'm using my Dixon vest.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hey strut, did you ever finish putting that new Badlands vest through its' paces? Curious to hear what your final thoughts were.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never bought the Badlands - but noticed they're sold out on the Badlands site and have limited inventory everywhere else.

I gave my son the Nomad vest because (1) I felt he needed one, and (2) I thought the upper chest strap was too high. The Nomad actually fit him well, but he decided that Dad was the guide and therefore the only one who really needed a vest. In all honesty, we've hunted a bunch of new properties all less than 5 mins from our house this Spring, so neither of us have carried a ton of gear this year. He carried a gun and strut seat and any decoys I handed him.

I essentially admitted to myself that I'm not giving up my old NWTF Mossy Oak vest with buttons until it needs to be replaced, and that thing will probably last for another 20 years. I also realized I'm really not a big fan of the new style vests with the double chest strap buckles.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if they're shutdown for covid. They announced in Feb and most of the country shut down in March. They wouldn't have had enough time to build up an inventory to last through the shutdown.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM
Spike

Hmm no place to carry my reaping fan