Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
So what did you learn this spring. >

So what did you learn this spring.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

So what did you learn this spring.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Enough already, no one is buying you!
​​​​​A few good tips though. Saved me a Google search

-Jake
Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
Learned long ago Arrow you need to get past the idiots sometimes to find a safe place to hunt. And sometimes it is better to just pack up and find another spot. Safer for all.

I agree 100% JW
Old 08-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
I really don't think this is the case here, that they like to hear their poop hit the water and Ive never seen a turkey roost or heard of a turkey roosting over water. Stop with the nonsense.
Can't speak to the poop part but yes from my experience they often roost over water in fact several places Im have hunted the turkeys would fly up into the trees in a swamp to roost over the water to avoid predators I believe as was posted by another poster.

Truth I don't read much of either these guys posts lol
Old 08-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I wish I hadn't deleted my posts ever year for many years after a while or I might have 11000 useless posts too bwahaha
Old 08-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've since given up using a turkey wing during my fly-down hen cackle call sequence, followed by a few yelps. Instead...I use my hat to slap against my thigh for about 5 times; instead of a turkey wing, because a turkey wing might be too dangerous to use in a woods crowded with turkey hunters.

Of course...you have to make sure or hope that the tom is not looking at you, when you slap your hat against your thigh.

A fly down cackle call sequence, is one of the most important calls to use during a dawn hen turkey fly-down.

I also sometimes use a cackle sequence for a hot gobbler after fly-down, with the translation from hen to gobbler being: "COME TO ME...RIGHT NOW!!!" --- If he answers or cuts you off --- Shut-up...because he's probably coming in...unless he's with hens.

Last edited by Erno86; 08-24-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 AM
JW
Super Moderator

While I have never seen Erno on any past Turkey teams here my years of chasing these birds I have witnessed all of what he posted.
Thanks to all who added to this post.
It's about teaching and sharing rather than being a bully.
A good hunter learns from his mistakes and moves on.

JW
Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned a few things:

1) I don't have a 50yd gun - I have a 70yd cannon.
2) Expect the unexpected when taking new turkey hunters.
3) If you're not seeing birds in your honey hole, then scout hard and move to hotter properties.
4) Strange and unexpected changes in weather can drastically alter bird movement for an entire season.
5) Well-designed strategic hunting plans are great - but in the end, trust your gut at the moment of reckoning because it's almost always better than your predesigned plans.

I have advanced degrees in animal science and 25 years of experience, but this past season reminded me of a very hard lesson - turkeys do what turkeys want to do, when they want to do it, and you can't always understand nor explain it...
Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
I have advanced degrees in animal science and 25 years of experience, but this past season reminded me of a very hard lesson - turkeys do what turkeys want to do, when they want to do it, and you can't always understand nor explain it...
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Erno86
I found out that wild turkeys love to hide in green leaf sticker bushes. Walk slowly every 10 feet or so in a sticker patch, before stopping for a minute or two. This pause makes the turkey nervous and anxious like a cottontail...and he might flush right next to you --- While he's making such a noisey racket to take-off --- It sounds like someone's being hit multiple times by a 2x4.
Do you really hunt turkeys? If you are flushing turkeys while walking through "sticker bushes," you are busting hens off their nests.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MarylandGobblers
Do you really hunt turkeys? If you are flushing turkeys while walking through "sticker bushes," you are busting hens off their nests.
I'm legally turkey hunting before the Maryland spring 12pm shutdown. Do you have any qualms about that?

The last turkey I flushed from a sticker bush was a young jake.

And if you only wound one --- gaod forbid --- you'd be better off looking for him possibly hiding in some kind of bush or in a hollow log.

Last edited by Erno86; 01-06-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.