Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
So what did you learn this spring. >

So what did you learn this spring.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

So what did you learn this spring.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:55 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default So what did you learn this spring.

What new technique or new method did you learn this year? Something you want to try again.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

At 65 years old one technique I've learned is that sometimes its better to just stay in bed and catch a few extra ZZZs. Go out later in the day when the hens are sneaking away from the toms and the toms are still "lookin for love". Don't get me wrong, I love being in the woods at dark and listening to it come alive. But after several days of doing that my old body tells me you just stay under these covers a while longer!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

One reason I have a portable camo recliner bronco. My woods naps are priceless. I rather be sleeping there than in some comfy bed.

But one thing I learned...you are correct. I also slept in more. I shot more birds late afternoon to evening this past spring than ever.

Think out of the box. Is another tip I'll pass along.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If possible...I like to enter the (public hunting land) turkey woods to one of my stands, (which is about one mile from the hardtop road) about 1 or 2am. I'm certain that I'll probably be the first one in the woods. And if I make any noise going into the woods, I'm hoping that if I do rouse any turkeys from their sleep, they'll just go back to sleep again and forget the "noise" ever happened --- While I be catching some ZZZ's in my turkey stand.

Of course...one method is to roost a tom the evening before and stay overnight near the same spot...so I'll be ready at first light.

I also don't want to shoot at a tom that has another close range turkey directly behind him.

Last edited by Erno86; 08-22-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86
If possible...I like to enter the (public hunting land) turkey woods to one of my my stands, (which is about one mile from the hardtop road) about 1 or 2am. I'm certain that I'll probably be the first one in the woods. And if I make any noise going into the woods, I'm hoping that if I do rouse any turkeys from their sleep, they'll just go back to sleep again and forget the "noise" ever happened --- While I be catching some ZZZ's in my turkey stand.

Of course...one method is to roost a tom the evening before and stay overnight near the same spot...so I'll be ready at first light.

I also don't want to shoot at a tom that has another close range turkey directly behind him.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

He's more committed than I am. I'll give him that

-Jake
Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

This was a strange Spring with extremely short grass instead of weed and grass growth anywhere from 1-3 feet tall. I learned that the turkeys don't like being out in the open like that and tend to hide in the brush a lot. Makes running and gunning more difficult.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found out that wild turkeys love to hide in green leaf sticker bushes. Walk slowly every 10 feet or so in a sticker patch, before stopping for a minute or two. This pause makes the turkey nervous and anxious like a cottontail...and he might flush right next to you --- While he's making such a noisey racket to take-off --- It sounds like someone's being hit multiple times by a 2x4.

Last edited by Erno86; 08-22-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys prefer to roost in trees that overhang over water --- Because they love to hear their poop plop in the water.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86
I found out that wild turkeys love to hide in green leaf sticker bushes. Walk slowly every 10 feet or so in a sticker patch, before stopping for a minute or two. This pause makes the turkey nervous and anxious like a cottontail...and he might flush right next to you --- While he's making such a noisey racket to take-off --- It sounds like someone's being hit multiple times by a 2x4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.