Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
So what did you learn this spring. >

So what did you learn this spring.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

So what did you learn this spring.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Why would you want to "flush" a turkey?

That's not a spring tactic that I know of at all.

Care to expand?

JW
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

If I could hunt turkeys by flushing them I guarantee you I would be lol.

Wingshooting turkeys sounds like allot of fun.

The purists would be awful upset I bet.

Unfortunately all the miles I've put on kicking brush I've only ever had one turkey fly up close enough that I could have shot it lol.

-Jake
Old 01-07-2020, 02:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Upset?
I'm willing to bet the flusher wounds and never recovers far more turkeys than is ever reported.
Ethical turkey hunters will not take a so called flushing shot.
Who ever heard of Spot & Swat?

Simply ludicrous

JW
Old 01-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutely on the mark. No ethical turkey hunter would hunt like that. There is a lot of mass to a turkey, very little of it is in a kill zone. Intentionally trying to flush turkeys in order to shoot them in the air is irresponsible and only done by so-called hunters who have no idea of ethics or how to hunt turkeys! The fact that someone says they hunt turkeys in that manner is no evidence that they do so, in addition it is no evidence that they ever hunted turkeys or any thing else. When something seems absurd and a lie, it most likely is.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Was walking into a new area one mid day to do a little glassing and scouting and stumbled upon a hen on a nest in some waist high grass. I think I needed most of that grass to clean myself up after she flushed from under my foot lol. Never a dull moment in the turkey woods!
Old 01-08-2020, 05:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I've had turkeys sit so tight that while judging pointing dog tests, the dog would go on point and we, as judges would holler to the gunners you can't shoot as we flushed a hen and her poults.

On a puppy test. I went to flush the bird the pup pointed. Only to get my hat knocked off by a Tom.

Amazing how something that colorfull can blend in its surroundings and disappear.

JW
Old 01-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Why would you want to "flush" a turkey?

That's not a spring tactic that I know of at all.

Care to expand?

JW
I was just walking through the sticker bush laden spring woods, when I flushed that jake from a sticker bush. The place where I spring hunt turkeys is infested with sticker bushes, that most hunters fear treading through. I got a bead on his head --- just as I do on upland game --- as I swung through him...but by the time I saw his beard, he was just out of range.

I learned from that instance...that some toms and jakes will sometimes hold-up in a bush, instead of just running away. Much like pheasants will do.

I've only shot at one flying wild turkey. It was a fall hunt in Western Maryland...when I called in a young jake from a flock and took a shot at him standing about 40 yards away --- He immediately catapulted himself vertically in the air, and flew directly over my head about ten yards away --- I swung though his head and shot... with him quickly folding to the ground in a heap.

"Taboo or fair chase -Is it okay to shoot flying turkeys"

Source:
themeateater/hunt/wild-turkeys/fair-chase-or-taboo-is-it-okay-to-shoot-flying-turkeys

Last edited by Erno86; 01-09-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added link