Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hens - sometimes ya hate them and ...... >

Hens - sometimes ya hate them and ......

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hens - sometimes ya hate them and ......

Old 05-17-2019, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hens - sometimes ya hate them and ......

Sometimes ya love them.
I hunted hard all last week and couldn't get anything into the decoys so I put away the crutches and went after them with my gun and some calls. Well I couldn't get any toms to play just courtesy gobbles as they walked away. Then I set up near a roost and just after fly down got into a shouting match with the boss hen and she came charging in with her boyfriend in tow and bang ! Then a few days later I was out trolling and heard a hen yelping so I answered back with lost yelps and a few kee kees to my suprise 20 minutes later she walked up with several other hens and 3 toms. They came where I had to swing my gun to get on the tom that was strutting. The lead hen caught me move and started to putt so I putted back and she seemed to settle down and look for the source of the putting which gave me time to get on the tom and bang #2 down. Sometimes gotta love those hens and can't wait until fall to kill a couple lol.
Attached Thumbnails Hens - sometimes ya hate them and ......-forum-1.jpg   Hens - sometimes ya hate them and ......-forum-2.jpg  

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 05-17-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Yes hens can be a pain sometimes. Sometimes it works out other times it dont
Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on getting your birds. I have been seeing hens and some toms. But the moment you strike a call they appear to start running away? But this morning they played a different tune but no gobbling.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

I had it both ways this season. I had 2 hens bring a tom right by me. Of course I missed the tom. Then 30 mins later I call one in strutting and gobbling. He was all alone and got hammered hard.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:08 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Carry a paste on beard. Problem solved!

Ha.
For me it has been the year of hens. Hens everywhere.
I've seen more strutting by hens early more so than Toms. I saw a lone hen join a Tom and his harem of 9, proceed to strut and kick the crap out of any of his hens.
And given the chance, once I cranked that Tom up, that hen made the mistake to talk to me!
Sorry Jenny, you wont win that battle ever.
And my longtime Turkey hunting buddy, who got me hooked, said he saw a hen strut and then gobble. Albeit a weak gobble.

I need some lap top time as I do have hen strut pictures.
All I ever use now is my phone.

JW
Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Got into a cutting fight with a boss hen yesterday and she came straight across the field to me she has been with the big tom I am after but he just stood out at 60 yards and waited until she got tired of looking for the phantom hen and went back to him then they walked off with him gobbling his head off, boy I wish she would go to nest soon !!!
Have to leave him for a few days as I am heading to Michigan hopefully when I get back he will be lonely lol

Dont ya wish you could be a ventriloquist?
Man to throw than hen call behind you.

Last edited by JW; 05-24-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres one that would leave me alone https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8251/v1z0p6.jpg
Old 05-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Now that's a good picture!

-Jake
Old 05-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Sometimes ya love them.
I hunted hard all last week and couldn't get anything into the decoys so I put away the crutches and went after them with my gun and some calls. Well I couldn't get any toms to play just courtesy gobbles as they walked away. Then I set up near a roost and just after fly down got into a shouting match with the boss hen and she came charging in with her boyfriend in tow and bang ! Then a few days later I was out trolling and heard a hen yelping so I answered back with lost yelps and a few kee kees to my suprise 20 minutes later she walked up with several other hens and 3 toms. They came where I had to swing my gun to get on the tom that was strutting. The lead hen caught me move and started to putt so I putted back and she seemed to settle down and look for the source of the putting which gave me time to get on the tom and bang #2 down. Sometimes gotta love those hens and can't wait until fall to kill a couple lol.
congrats your getting it figured out!
RR