Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
It's been a weird yr in Wisconsin >

It's been a weird yr in Wisconsin

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

It's been a weird yr in Wisconsin

Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default It's been a weird yr in Wisconsin

But these last two days things are heating up. Gobbling has gotten pretty good. Early on it was one or two gobbles off roost and then nothing. I've hunted now for 28 days as I've procured a tag OR multiple tag for all 6 seasons.
I've seen new Turkey behavior unwitnessed by me and that is a plus. it's great to see the daily changes.
Soft and slow calling has been the key. I hope that changes as I love cutting.

JW
So far I've harvested 5 and helped 4 others. Two weeks to go
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I've noticed, hunting the first week and now this last week, is the lack of interference by hens. We found a lot of birds that were alone and open to seeing what that "hen" over there looks like. Yet we are seeing lone hens all over the place. Interesting year.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
What I've noticed, hunting the first week and now this last week, is the lack of interference by hens. We found a lot of birds that were alone and open to seeing what that "hen" over there looks like. Yet we are seeing lone hens all over the place. Interesting year.
In my brief / novice experience this year, I've noticed several lone hens as well. Last week, we saw a lone hen and a lone doe almost walking "hand in hand" down our back field. My brother-in-law called them "Woodland Friends" ha ha.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Am up. Oh dark thirty and start of the 6th season. And it's raining. Well time to pull out da tent.
Worked a bird shortly last night. Go back after him. I used tags on my 1st, 2nd, 3rd. 4th (1 for 2), 5th (2 for 3) and now 6th (2).
Also 4 for 5 helping others.
And then I fell. Bruised ribs and got laid up.
Thank you chemistry.
Has been a weird but good yr.
30+ yrs doing this and learned a ton this yr.
Be safe out there.

jw
Old 05-22-2019, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Thanks Wingbone.
I sat a field I saw a few birds in 2 nights prior. Really wish I could upload pictures

I had 3 real nice Tom's come running around the pines to a bit of cutting I was doing.
They never gobbled once.
And since I had 2 tags in my pocket. Well 2 birds down.
And both are 3 yr old or better.
I've never seen sharper spurs.
JW

Ps and I checked. I can still get harvest tags.
Might be looking for bird 9
Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Jw,

Are your photos on a camera or on your phone?

Look at the thread I posted in the technical section on posting photos. Makes it easy whether on a phone/tablet or traditional computer

-Jake
Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats JW. You always seem to find a way to lay em down.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on getting your birds. I am sorry to hear about your ribs sand bruises. You need to be careful out there. None of us have found a way to get younger yet.. It’s been hard hunting here as well..
Old 05-24-2019, 04:41 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Jake I tried to upload. I'm old and it's far too slow.
just need laptop time.

Hey and thanks all.
My success
I scout a ton. I then will sit high traffic areas.
I may get gobbled at and I may not. But being in high Turkey sign areas is the key.
My other success. There are areas that consistently produce. Remember them. As long as the habitat stays the same, all is good.
I have shot a few from this 80. But the last few years it has been alfalfa. Last year corn again. So I sat that cut field. Last yrs corn fields are a Turkey magnet for me.
I.)saw birds 2 times over the course of a few weeks in theses fields this yr. So sat one morning as I was late getting up and it was close. 50 minutes later i was done.
With 5 days left and two new hunters to take out it does look promissing. I have several areas i haven't hit yet.
I have one young man, who only has Monday morning. I found a herd of 15 Jakes!

I have another i saw him the other day. He got close but if his hen wont come to him, he loses interest. So I'll come to him.
I'll be in his lap once he hits that field edge. I know his travel route.
It's been a fun, frustrating year following these birds throughout this state if Wisconsin. I learned a ton. So oay attention to your successes. And learn from your failures. And dont be afraid to hunt out of the box.

JW

Last edited by JW; 05-24-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.