Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Black Hills help!

Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Default Black Hills help!

Anyone hunted the black hills in South Dakota? Hoping to find a few pointers. Been here 2 days and not a single gobble or sign of a Turkey. Probably walked 20 miles so far though the country.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen turkey in the black hills while on motorcycle trips there. So they are there. That doesn't help you much.

Maybe contact the local game warden and see if you can get some advice?

-Jake
Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

They are saying the population is way down do to hard winters the last few years. Still a pretty cool trip no matter the outcome. Got to meet the last surviving worker of the Mt Rushmore build!
Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 AM
Spike

10 years ago I could hunt nearly all week there and barely see another hunter. The last 2 years I was there, there were hunters from all over the country driving the roads and calling. Seems that all the publicity of the area has finally caught up to it. Was awesome at one point. Try to find isolated pockets maybe???? I'll send you a couple more spots as I recall them.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Luck is not on my side! Hit a deer this morning in my month old truck then hit a rock and shredded a tire going out for the evening hunt. My be calling this a wash
Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

That's a rough day

-Jake
Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Got lucky and pulled it off on my evening in the Black Hills in 30 mph winds! I'll post a pic when I can get to a computer
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

One of the exciting things about hunting is how quickly your "luck" can change. Glad to hear you found a bird

-Jake
Old 05-17-2019, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations Kelly. I know it’s been a tough one for you and your wife. Looking forward to helping you complete your goal.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a pic of my bird. The beard had quite a bit of rot too it. Thinking because of the hard winter they have gone through. Ended up being around 2" spurs are just under 1" with the tips broke off and the bird only weighed 16 lbs. Smallest full grown tom I have ever taken and I am just as if not more than proud of him as any of the others I have taken. Prepped the fan for mounting last night.
Attached Thumbnails Black Hills help!-turkey3.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.