Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I ain't much of a turkey hunter >

I ain't much of a turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I ain't much of a turkey hunter

Old 05-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with RR.When Tommy is with Hens he doesn,t need to make a peep.I was workin a Gobbler for over a hour last week and when the Gobbler was seen about 150 yards away another one gobbled right behind me.He came in silent till that point.Long story short I missed the one that came from behind when he stepped out in the open.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

The Gobbler i was workin was alone and so was the one that came in that I missed.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I can hunt tomorrow from 9-noon.

Going to set my decoys out and just do some very sparse and light calling.

-Jake
Old 05-13-2019, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey All,

It's been that way in SW Michigan all spring.

Like JW noted, most of the birds are staying in the woods. There's not a lot of mast in the woods around me, and I haven't yet figured out what they're eating, but I think it may be bugs. The ticks are worse this year than the last 5 combined.

The other thing that's interesting, at least for around here, is that older birds are going down in higher numbers than 2 yr olds - there have many birds shot this year with 1.25 to 1.5 inch spurs, suggesting the older birds are the ones doing the searching.

I can't confirm it (i.e., my best guess) is that for whatever reason last year there were many more jakes to survive winter than jennies. I've seen very few small hens, and the best gobbling is most often to high pitched yelps that mimic a younger bird. This has in some manner screwed up the normal mating behavior, in that either the jakes and 2yr old are running off the mature birds, or there are just fewer hens to breed which is concentrating the birds. A local farmer had a flock of 60 birds in his field last week, with more than 10 in strut. That's unheard of for the middle of May...
Old 05-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of it up this way I am thinking is our weather. We have been getting some cold mornings even for us. They are calling for snow from 1 to 6 inches tonight and turning to rain tomorrow. That’s crazy for us in my opinion. I can recall having mixed snow and rain in early May that never amount to anything. The best part is it will be gone in no time..

I also find more turkeys around our cuttings where there is a clearing. I think that they might be getting the bugs around the decaying brush and the like from the slash left behind. That’s not to mention good cover for them to hide in..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-13-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well I got skunked for the second year in a row.

Next year I think I will take some time off and do it right.

I didn't make it to pa this year which is my better hunting.

I'll take a few days and do it right instead of trying to fit hunts in around a busy work and family schedule.

-Jake
Old 05-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
So, I had my spot picked out for the Monday opener. Good activity, hard to access, so shouldn't be bothered by anyone else.

I had to work until 7 then get the kid's off to school/baby sitters .
​​​​​​ Ended up getting to hunt from about 9 until almost noon the first day.

Saw two deer and a bunch of geese. No gobbles.

Tuesday morning I got out before daylight and eagerly awaited the morning gobbles . Nothing. Started to call a little. I'm always worried I'll do more harm than good.

After some calling I noticed a hen coming my way so I shut up and let her come in. Unfortunately nothing was behind her.
​​​​​​
Called a little more and called in about 30 buzzards. They circled a bit then landed above me and waited on me to die I guess.

Maybe I need to work on my calling technique.

-Jake
Sounds like you have perfected the dying turkey call!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Here is another thing noted this yr.
Shock gobble.
Most of what I witnessed was a Shock gobble when a Tom saw a hen. Not hearing a hen in most cases.
Late season I would see a nice roaming single Tom. He would see my decoy. Instant shock gobble.
Mostly witnessed this with a Jake out too.
Jake's and strutting decoys are a 50/50 gamble.
The Tom either comes busting right in or stays out of range.
I had one Tom stand there and strut for an hr. Never made a peep

I did more hen bantering this year than ever. We ( my partner and I) witnessed far more hen strutting than ever. In fact my partner witnessed a strutting hen gobble
albeit weak
Both of us did get on a few classic bird hunts.
But the majority where not.
I've got a picture with a coyote busting in close on 3 Jake's. They didnt care. They clearly saw the yote.
Safety in numbers I guess.
And in as much as us guys think we rule the roost.
That is incorrect. Females do.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

I called in more hens this year than toms and most off the toms I did get to gobble never came in. Thursday I never heard a gobble but I had two hens come in off the roost and then begin to call if you think that soft hen calling is the trick you would question it now. She stood out at 20 yards and and cut and yelp almost non-stop until a gobble rang out some distance off. She continued to cut and yelp as the gobbling got closer I thought this is gonna be great. She is doing all the calling for me but then when the tom was maybe 80-100 yards out she stopped calling and went in his direction and he shut up. I waited a bit then cut he gobbled at the same distance. After another wait I cut and yelped no answer I figured he was with the hens so I decided to make a move. As I was slipping up I saw the tom walking in the woods with the two hens . I got set up and when he peeked around a tree at 40 yards I shot. He ran off. I thought what but realized I had not seen the 1 inch limb about 2 feet in front of me that took most of the pattern. This year I have not killed one bird by just calling and getting a tom to come in. It has all been by making moves and using woodsmanship . I even just sat over a good dusting area and killed a good tom that came to dust with two hens at 2 pm when you would think he would finally be alone looking. This year I have had to work way harder to fill my tags and ended with 7 out of 8 eating tag soup in Michigan which is really unsual !! So don't feel too bad Bocajnalla I hunted a lot from the start April to the last day of May. In fact yesterday in my honey hole that I usually don't hunt I never even heard a gobble all day !!!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

I attribute this tag soup to a lack of dedication.

I tried to work my hunts in around a busy schedule.

One day that consisted of walking out back and sitting for about a half hour doing some light calling before having to go in so the wife could leave for work. It was scattered stuff like that and only 3 or 4 real mornings to hunt.

Pretty much going out blind hoping to get lucky in places that I've seen birds in the past.

Just didn't have the time to dedicate to it.

​​​​​​Next year I'll try to get 5 days off to give it a serious go. And I'll head to PA where I see allot more birds.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.