Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I ain't much of a turkey hunter >

I ain't much of a turkey hunter

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I ain't much of a turkey hunter

Old 05-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

You may be on to something JW.

-Jake

Old 05-11-2019, 03:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

FWIW.
This has been strange. Late spring. I'm into my 25th day as I'm hunting the full 6 weeks. Maybe more if I go to another state.
But so far nothing like last yr. I thought winter kill had really taken its toll. But I am wrong. Plenty of birds. They just are not that vocal.
Out of the 6 taken so far. Only 1 played the traditional game.
I have seen far more hen strutting right along with the Tom than ever.
The hens have been really quiet. Early was just purring. As of late a few yelps with purrs.
So I have stuck more to very soft calling.
I scout a ton and cause of my physical well being I sit high traffic areas.
My partners younger than me still R&G. They are also witnessing the same. Once and a while you'll get gobbled at. But nothing has been like it should be.
Soft calling has been our best success.
JW
Old 05-11-2019, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

I've only been at this a few years. But each season it seems like I hear the same. "Birds aren't gobbling like they used to"

With the years of experience that you have JW, what do you attribute that to? I've heard everything from more coyotes, to the more vocal birds getting shot year after year so the less vocal birds are reproducing more and their offspring continue the less vocal trend.

what's your take? My limited turkey success has mostly been from scouting and being in the right place, right time. My biggest bird did come from calling and he came in with 3 other gobblers in full strut and gobbling their heads off. Quite a show they put on.

I know some others like RR may have thoughts on this as well.

-Jake
Old 05-11-2019, 05:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

To me.
It's about the availability of hens.
Lots of hens the Tom just follows in Full Strut hoping to get lucky. He doesn't need to gobble. If he gobbles at all it's a few times from roost and maybe a time or to once on the ground to announce his presence.

Yes we still are finding that hot Tom occasionally and it's a classical text book hunt.
But mainly 2 yr old. Either alone or following a few Jakes.

And the second peak of gobbling hasn't started yet.
Hens are splitting off, I am seeing single hens here and there and they may be laying eggs. But certainly no where near incubating.

Oh another factor.
I'm not seeing the number of birds using fields.
They are staying and feeding in the woods.
Still lots of acorns.
And I seen my fair share of coyotes.

I fact I had 3 Jake's in molesting a hen decoy. They clearly saw that coyote but just kept on molesting my decoy. I really thought the yote was going to charge. And I was ready for him.
But a live Turkey leg kick on a rubber decoy, created a sound that spooked that coyote.
It saved him.
I've got pictures. Will post when I'm off this phone.

Just my musings. I've hunted 2 states so far. Am in constant contact with guys in two others.

Was 25°F this morning. A bit chilly.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

To me.
It's about the availability of hens.
Lots of hens the Tom just follows in Full Strut hoping to get lucky. He doesn't need to gobble. If he gobbles at all it's a few times from roost and maybe a time or to once on the ground to announce his presence.

Yes we still are finding that hot Tom occasionally and it's a classical text book hunt.
But mainly 2 yr old. Either alone or following a few Jakes.

And the second peak of gobbling hasn't started yet.
Hens are splitting off, I am seeing single hens here and there and they may be laying eggs. But certainly no where near incubating.

Oh another factor.
I'm not seeing the number of birds using fields.
They are staying and feeding in the woods.
Still lots of acorns.
And I seen my fair share of coyotes.

I fact I had 3 Jake's in molesting a hen decoy. They clearly saw that coyote but just kept on molesting my decoy. I really thought the yote was going to charge. And I was ready for him.
But a live Turkey leg kick on a rubber decoy, created a sound that spooked that coyote.
It saved him.
I've got pictures. Will post when I'm off this phone.

Just my musings. I've hunted 2 states so far. Am in constant contact with guys in two others.

Was 25°F this morning. A bit chilly.

Last edited by JW; 05-11-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:43 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Oh and I've been questioning my ability as a Turkey hunter too!

Just flat out a weird yr.

And as my mentor quoted.
"It's just turkeys being a wild turkey."
Old 05-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been having the same kind of luck right now. Nothing gobbling back. It’s makes for a long day trying to get one to come out and play. Also seeing a lot of hens everywhere. I am thinking with all the cold weather and a late spring that they are running way behind right now. I am expecting them to come around before our season ends though..
Old 05-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO JW nailed it, I blamed coyotes for the lack of gobbling here in wv for years, went to ky where coyotes are thick, they gobbled their heads off. When I was a kid, fall hunting was a big deal, now no-one does it. and any experienced turkey hunter knows a gobbler don't make much noise with a hen in his vision, yeah if he turns his back on the hen during his display he may shock gobble at hen noise but soon as he turns around he sees the hen again he clams up.
Now if hens get so populated that he can see a hen from the time he opens his eyes on the limb, till he flys back up, he don't hafta gobble. my opinion, worth what it cost ya.
RR
Old 05-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I am seeing hens. So that would make sense.

-Jake
Old 05-12-2019, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ever since the turkeys were re- introduced up here our bobcat population has been climbing steadily as well. Coyotes have been going threw up and downs with our winters. Some areas see a steady climb while other areas have dropped off. But the turkeys have been doing well. We lost a lot of turkeys one winter from a lot of deep fluffy snow. They have been recovering well since then though. Hens are everywhere and that’s been a problem I am thinking. I do feel that they will be searching for again up this way anyway..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.