Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I ain't much of a turkey hunter >

I ain't much of a turkey hunter

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I ain't much of a turkey hunter

Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default I ain't much of a turkey hunter

So, I had my spot picked out for the Monday opener. Good activity, hard to access, so shouldn't be bothered by anyone else.

I had to work until 7 then get the kid's off to school/baby sitters .
​​​​​​ Ended up getting to hunt from about 9 until almost noon the first day.

Saw two deer and a bunch of geese. No gobbles.

Tuesday morning I got out before daylight and eagerly awaited the morning gobbles . Nothing. Started to call a little. I'm always worried I'll do more harm than good.

After some calling I noticed a hen coming my way so I shut up and let her come in. Unfortunately nothing was behind her.
​​​​​​
Called a little more and called in about 30 buzzards. They circled a bit then landed above me and waited on me to die I guess.

Maybe I need to work on my calling technique.

-Jake
Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

naw we all have those types of days. Indiana has been horrible this year for me. Rain and cloudy the whole time here. I wouldn't become discouraged.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes we all have days like this from time to time. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere that big gobbler shows up without making a sound. I have watched them walk right on by my decoys and not even bother with them. Just as if they know that something is up. Turkey hunting can be frustrating at times. But never give up. They will only think that they have won while you wonder what happened. They can be very smart most of the time..
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Saw a hen and passed on a little Jake this morning. I've seen so few birds, I just didn't feel right about taking a young one this year. Hopefully next year I see some more.

This was the first legal turkey I've seen in five hunts this year. He came by about 6 yards out.

Looked just like this bird with his beard sticking straight out.

-Jake
Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Been a slow year for me as well. First morning out I had a Tom gobble at me over 200 times but could not get him closer than 50 yds and so thick I still couldnt see him. He has been to that dance before and was not going to come in any closer and no way for me to get any closer to him. Next time I only heard one bird gobble three different times on the roost and then shut right up. Two more mornings havent heard any gobbles. Gonna try again this weekend. Keep trying!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mackesr
Been a slow year for me as well. First morning out I had a Tom gobble at me over 200 times but could not get him closer than 50 yds and so thick I still couldnt see him. He has been to that dance before and was not going to come in any closer and no way for me to get any closer to him. Next time I only heard one bird gobble three different times on the roost and then shut right up. Two more mornings havent heard any gobbles. Gonna try again this weekend. Keep trying!
when they hang up and can't see ya call very softly, and not very often, reach down and rake the leaves with your hand if your sure he can't see you, works like a charm!
RR
Old 05-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like those Buzzards had you on their menu.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

I hear ya Ridge Runner. I tried all those tricks and none worked for that ol Tom. I started off really quite and only subtle purrs and clucks, which he would respond to but would lose interest quickly. When I started calling more aggressive, so did he. I moved away from him to see if he would come closer but he would not. Thats the way it goes sometimes.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

If anybody needs buzzards called in, I'm your guy.

I'm willing to trade my buzzard calling ability for someone who can call turkeys

-Jake
Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Jake take a shower. Buzzards can smell....lol

Sorry couldn't resist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.