HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkey season is finally arriving up here! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/420859-turkey-season-finally-arriving-up-here.html)

Phil from Maine 04-30-2019 04:34 PM

You can still get them in a rain. They are less vocal from what I have found. But I have gotten a few on rainy days. Good luck to you.

I am seeing them and they are not coming in on my decoys at all right now. Yesterday while sitting in my blind I watched one walk up the road. He gobbled like crazy and strutted all over it. I don’t own where he was and vegans do. But he wouldn’t come in for a bow shot. Two hens came along and he chased them up across the field. Last evening I gave up and went in to eat. The darn bird walked right by our kitchen window. Today I had to work so I set for him this evening. Yessah he walked right down the road and ignored my decoys again. I have had hens walk right beside my blind but not the toms. I had a relative send me a picture of two toms out back this morning go figure. I will keep at him and maybe just use the hen decoys. I don’t know why he avoids them.

blsjds 05-01-2019 09:48 AM

Thanks Phil!

I will be hunting in the fields behind my house, so I've been watching their movement when I can, and have definitely noticed less activity the last 10 days. Hopefully the decoys I put out will spark some interest.

Of course, two Toms crossed the road in front of my truck on the way home from work yesterday, about a mile from my house ha ha.

Phil from Maine 05-01-2019 03:31 PM

Well I fired at a big bird with my bow this evening. I cut him off and he was around 15 yards from me. He dodged the arrow somehow. I thought for sure that I would of had him. But no deal.. Now I am wondering if he will come back again? I am hoping so or another one will come take his place..

Phil from Maine 05-01-2019 03:49 PM

Once the flock breaks up the activity becomes less. That’s exactly what happens here every year. Two weeks ago there was seven big toms out back. Now there is one or two showing up. Maybe after this evening there will be none going threw? I don’t really know what to say about my missing that one this evening. But the birds will still come out in the rain..

blsjds 05-02-2019 05:27 PM

Damn that sucks, but still exciting that you were close! I'll be heading out Saturday morning, although if it's not pouring tomorrow am and I'm up, I might give it a shot.

That's interesting - I didn't know that the flock eventually breaks up, but it makes sense because we're now seeing some solo hens coming through, and the occasional solo Tom.

Bocajnala 05-02-2019 07:32 PM

For us, the turkeys flock up through the winter around food. It's not uncommon to see a flock with over a hundred birds in it.

But once the weather breaks and food is available they all break up.

-Jake

blsjds 05-06-2019 07:06 AM

No luck this weekend, but we were able to get a LOT of gobbling in response to our calls. We tried to be as judicial as possible with calling, but just couldn't coax them over to where we were.

They roost across the street from my property and up until a few weeks ago, very frequently came down into the field behind my house. I don't think the decoys were in their line of sight, so I'll try a different location / set up next weekend.

Timbrhuntr 05-06-2019 05:28 PM

Good luck figuring it out ! On Thursday last week I had a tom come to the edge of the woods strutt and gobble and just look at my set up then turn and walk off. Today same set up and had 5 different hens come in and peck at my breeder hen but not one tom !! Usually the toms come to investigate and the hens couldn't care less.

Phil from Maine 05-06-2019 06:04 PM

One of the two year olds was shot on the next street over and I have seen any of them out back anymore. But I was still hearing gobbles early in the morning. That has stopped now. I am thinking because they are all hened up now. I went and sent out for two of the DSD hen decoys to see if that will help when they get moving again. I figured that a couple of more hens would not hurt anything.. Good luck guys..

GOOD OLE BOY 05-09-2019 05:11 PM

Go get em.