HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   410 for turkey ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/420832-410-turkey.html)

johnl 04-23-2019 01:34 PM

410 for turkey ?

what's everyone's thoughts on this ? to me it seems WAY under powered

mrbb 04-23-2019 02:19 PM

I wouldn;t use one ,
BUT if legal??
I would be sticking to some real CLOSE shots only!

Wingbone 04-24-2019 01:32 AM

What's the point? The sport and challenge of turkey hunting is the process of getting them close enough for a killing shot. Once they are there, if you want to kill the turkey, do it. If you don't want to, don't shoot. You owe it to the turkey to do it cleanly. Why increase the chance of wounding or missing at that point?

bornagain64 04-24-2019 05:42 AM

Yes you could. But I would only do it with the newer tss loads.
it is great for youth hunters. You would have to pattern it and see what the affective range is. I have heard that 30 yds would be a good range: would depend on your pattern. ( gun, choke tube and shells)

WVDanimal 04-25-2019 05:31 AM

No, no, and NO again! Patterned and used it with the TSS this year for my really small kids. I'm almost certain my son could do better with his pellet rifle. Had a friend from the south who came to the mtns to squirrel hunt with a .410 boasting about how well it shot. When we pulled out of the driveway, a big foxy ran up an oak tree right beside us. I sat in the vehicle and watched him walk around the tree and hit the squirrel 4 times before it finally came out. He now carries a 12ga. Yes, it can and will work, but I'm biased because I started out with a 12 as a very small kid. They are just not my preference at all for anything.

johnl 04-25-2019 01:51 PM

The reason I posted this is I saw an ad for a 410 turkey gun and I was like no way !! I'm like the most of you why risk wounding something when there are better options

Oldtimr 04-25-2019 02:34 PM

I was at a wholesale gun shop a couple of months ago soliciting sponsors for the Wildlife Conservation History Museum and the owner showed me a new .410, I think it was a Savage that was made specifically for turkey hunting he also showed me a target from 40 yards. The pattern was devastating. They also are special shells being sold for that gun. I am still not convinced that a .410 is turkey medicine but I would not have wanted to be on the receiving end of that shot load.

Bocajnala 04-25-2019 02:38 PM

With the new developments in Turkey loads there are plenty of guys out there that have gone to 20 gauge and .410s. especially for kids.

It's not Grandpa's .410 anymore

I'll keep lugging my 10 gauge to the woods for now though.
-Jake

salukipv1 04-25-2019 03:11 PM

20ga smallest legal here in IL for turkey is my understanding.

Jack Ryan 04-25-2019 03:12 PM

I could have killed every turkey I saw today with a sling shot. That don't make it a turkey gun.

mrbb 04-25-2019 04:48 PM

the thing about a pattern on paper., doesn't really show how well it will do with power to get thru a turkeys feathers, all the more so if its all strutting and has its shields active LOL
I think they keep pushing things to stir interest in the sport, and trying to get kids involved!
as honestly without kids getting into hunting, the sport will be in trouble as us older hunters die off!

again the 410 does have the means to kill a turkey when things are right, but there are better tools out there
I would honestly question if a 410 with a HOT turkey load, and a lighter gun, has any LESS recoil than maybe a milder load in a 20 gauge or even 12

but I do think many of the smaller 410,'s maybe do fit smaller framed kids and hunters

I again would not recommend using one for turkeys
410 in a revolver make a good snake gun, IMO
other wise, I have never had much need for a 410!

I will add this, back in my more intense sporting clays' days
I used to know a die hard sporting clay's shooter, that shot over a 100 in a row using a beat up, duck tape holding stock together 410 single shot, shooting from the hip!
he was a LONG time trick shooter from up in NY,
it was a lot fun to watch him, out shoot guys with HIGH end shotguns, that used to laugh at his gun and snicker at him having it at some of the higher end shoots!
so, some times its NOT the gun or gauge, but the skills of the shooter! LOL

JW 04-30-2019 12:56 PM

Well say what you want.

Michigan regs read. " Legsl use of ANY firearm capable of firing a shotshell".

I used a Taurus Judge 45/.410. With Apex 9.5 shot loaded at 27/32 oz a 3 inch round.
The revolver does have a custom choketube installed.
MY Lethal range 25 yds.
Prefer closer.
Pictures to come. Maybe.
So say what you want. But hunt like you want. I passed quite a few at my lethal range. But did whack one at 9 yards.
Was a pleasure to run and gun again

Bocajnala 05-01-2019 02:51 AM

That "best tool for the job" argument drives me crazy.

There is such a thing as hunting for pleasure and enjoyment. And part of that can be the items that you are using.

Under the best tool argument I wouldn't be able to use my recurve bow for deer, because I'm sure that there are crossbows that are far more capable and better for the job.

I enjoy slinging arrows with my recurve. And I'm not worried about if it's the best tool for the job.

That best tool argument could be used against allot of the guns and equipment I reach for.

-Jake

JW 05-01-2019 09:03 AM

Well back to the topic.

I see no problem using a firearm to tuRkey hunt where the one using said firearm has done their homework.
And the choice of gauge used is legal.
Your homework is patterning and knowing the firearms lethal range for the gauge and ammunition being used.
To boost my lethality I went to that new TSS shot. Is reported to pack a big punch. It certainly did
Was surprised what it did to my plywood backstop. Just mushed that turkeys head.

I highly recommend patterning on Caldwells life sized Turkey splatter targets
Stick with 8 to 10 red zone hits to determine your maximum lethal range.
(Only skull, neck vertebra, eye hits)
Then stay in that range.
That is part of a hunters code of ethics.

Be safe out there.

Uncle Nicky 05-10-2019 05:38 AM

There are better options. I don't feel good about crippling anything.

JW 05-10-2019 11:42 AM

There was no crippling and hardly any flopping.
Confidence was I know what this firearm was capable of. I did my homework.

Champlain Islander 05-10-2019 12:21 PM

My grandson just shot his first turkey with a 410. I watched the video and that bird went down hard ......bang flop.

Bocajnala 05-10-2019 12:23 PM

Congratulations to your grandson CI!

With proper load, proper practice, and proper limitations, there's nothing wrong with the .410

-Jake

JW 05-10-2019 02:16 PM

Awesome CI!
I like nothing more than hearing and seeing youngsters success

JW

Phil from Maine 05-12-2019 03:43 AM

That’s awesome CI! I am glad to hear that your grandson had some success..

Timbrhuntr 05-12-2019 06:04 AM

I have a bunch of buddies shooting .410's with home rolled TSS 9 or 10 shot and deadly to 40 yards if I had a 410 I would carry it without ant hesitation !

mohunter814 05-12-2019 01:20 PM

Works for me....

1 Attachment(s)
This Tom didn’t know what hit em a 410 or 3.5” 12.... but I can confirm it was a load of federal tss 9’s out of a stevens 555 410 with briley custom chokes both at 30 yards was more than enough. fun getting em close and a joy to shoot. Made the switch this year and won’t look back.
-Mo

mrbb 05-12-2019 01:24 PM

like I said, a 410 can kill, but there isn't as much room for error, and with other larger gauges being more forgiving on human error , they tend to get used more often
folks have killed a lot of things with throwing rocks, but I'm not that skilled LOL

Timbrhuntr 05-12-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4355912)
like I said, a 410 can kill, but there isn't as much room for error, and with other larger gauges being more forgiving on human error , they tend to get used more often
folks have killed a lot of things with throwing rocks, but I'm not that skilled LOL

That's because you've never shot them with Pixie Dust !! If you had you would no there ain't no error involved except the poor turkey getting in range.

mrbb 05-13-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr (Post 4355919)
That's because you've never shot them with Pixie Dust !! If you had you would no there ain't no error involved except the poor turkey getting in range.

hahaha, I'd be scared of pixie dust loads , never know what kind of fairy might show up LOL

penak 05-13-2019 10:49 AM

That’s awesome CI!

Jack Ryan 05-13-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by johnl (Post 4355216)
what's everyone's thoughts on this ? to me it seems WAY under powered

I think it is all the result of an advertising blitz by firearms and ammunition manufactures getting desperate after the boom years of Obama sales and every one is still stocked up to the gills. They don't give a flip about hunters, hunting, or anything else about the sport other than how it can help THEM pick YOUR pocket.

Bocajnala 05-14-2019 02:17 AM

Thinking something doesn't make it true.

And seeing is believing. Anybody that's messed with and used TSS, including from a .410, believes.

-Jake

Jack Ryan 05-14-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4355974)
Thinking something doesn't make it true.

And seeing is believing. Anybody that's messed with and used TSS, including from a .410, believes.

-Jake

Any one who posts on more than one or two forums can see the "410 for Turkey" posted on ever freaking forum on the internet from one end to the other. Cut n Paste jobs front to back at just the same time Federal and a few others started pitching them. Regardless if the state the forum is But for allows it for hunting or not. It is no different from the blitz they put on to get crossbows for deer, handguns for deer, rifles for deer, sell their timer activated deer feeders and apple flavored corn bait.

Only a fool couldn't see what is going on there. But hey, look at the dumb crap they already sell and people are buying it.

Bocajnala 05-14-2019 03:55 PM

You're right mr. Ryan, timbrhunter, CI and JW are clearly just marketing for federal. It's not like they have any real experience, hunt multiple states, or harvest lots of birds. :wink:

And don't get me started on them crossbows, scent sprays and trail cameras... :busted:

-Jake

Ridge Runner 05-14-2019 04:19 PM

is this anything like the 223 for deer threads?
RR

Bocajnala 05-14-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4356012)
is this anything like the 223 for deer threads?
RR

I believe it might head that way.

-Jake