Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

410 for turkey ?

Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default 410 for turkey ?

what's everyone's thoughts on this ? to me it seems WAY under powered
Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn;t use one ,
BUT if legal??
I would be sticking to some real CLOSE shots only!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's the point? The sport and challenge of turkey hunting is the process of getting them close enough for a killing shot. Once they are there, if you want to kill the turkey, do it. If you don't want to, don't shoot. You owe it to the turkey to do it cleanly. Why increase the chance of wounding or missing at that point?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Yes you could. But I would only do it with the newer tss loads.
it is great for youth hunters. You would have to pattern it and see what the affective range is. I have heard that 30 yds would be a good range: would depend on your pattern. ( gun, choke tube and shells)
Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 AM
Spike

No, no, and NO again! Patterned and used it with the TSS this year for my really small kids. I'm almost certain my son could do better with his pellet rifle. Had a friend from the south who came to the mtns to squirrel hunt with a .410 boasting about how well it shot. When we pulled out of the driveway, a big foxy ran up an oak tree right beside us. I sat in the vehicle and watched him walk around the tree and hit the squirrel 4 times before it finally came out. He now carries a 12ga. Yes, it can and will work, but I'm biased because I started out with a 12 as a very small kid. They are just not my preference at all for anything.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

The reason I posted this is I saw an ad for a 410 turkey gun and I was like no way !! I'm like the most of you why risk wounding something when there are better options
Old 04-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was at a wholesale gun shop a couple of months ago soliciting sponsors for the Wildlife Conservation History Museum and the owner showed me a new .410, I think it was a Savage that was made specifically for turkey hunting he also showed me a target from 40 yards. The pattern was devastating. They also are special shells being sold for that gun. I am still not convinced that a .410 is turkey medicine but I would not have wanted to be on the receiving end of that shot load.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

With the new developments in Turkey loads there are plenty of guys out there that have gone to 20 gauge and .410s. especially for kids.

It's not Grandpa's .410 anymore

I'll keep lugging my 10 gauge to the woods for now though.
-Jake
Old 04-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

20ga smallest legal here in IL for turkey is my understanding.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I could have killed every turkey I saw today with a sling shot. That don't make it a turkey gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.