Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need help

Old 04-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default Need help

Question! I normally don't get to Turkey hunt a planted field so I need some learning lol. Roosted 1 Tom with 10 hens tonight. Should I use decoys on the opposite edge of the field? Or just set up without them? Calling them in has been near impossible this year for some reason.

Most of my hunting for em have been in the trees or catching them mid day looking for love.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say, use the decoys. I'd try talking nasty and try to piss off the hens. When they come marching over to kick your a$$, the tom will come with them. Whatever they say to you, give it right back to them.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Agree 100% with Wingbone. Id use a hen or 2 and a jake.

So what happened?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with just 1 or two hens and a jake. I would set 1 hen like it’s laying down and then jake around four or five feet from it. That will get any Tom upset and coming in to thrash the jake..
Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welp no luck. They stayed about 60 yrds out. Went to set the Jake up (avianx) and the insert busted out so now it doesnt hold air and sits really low. Gonna have to use the expanding foam in him when I get home. For the evening I set 2 hen dekes, feeder and breeder. Got em 30 yrds to my left right on the edge of the field that they roost. Yesterday evening the 2 gobblers came in range but directly right of me and I couldn't get turned for a shot. They were at 5 yrds then did a big loop around my dekes
Old 04-20-2019, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep on keeping on, it will work out.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes sir. It's fun either way. Just a matter of time
Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Ended up getting one of them 1.25 miles away from where they roosted the night before. He is not the big one but the one that was getting run around from him. The bigger one showed back up that morning but never made it back to the field.

The one I was lucky enough to take I spotted at sunset roosting in a different field across the road. I was getting ate up from biting gnats and couldn't take it anymore, stood up early and seen him through the binos. Got set up the following morning on him and 7 hens about 200 yrds away and for a change luck was on my side. I used no dekes and he did not respond to calling. I just got lucky and set up in the way they decided to walk lol. I thought he was about 45 yrds when I finally got him to stick his head up for the shot but I ranged back to the tree from him and it was 62! I'll post pic as soon as I can get one up. 1 1/8 spurs 8" beard and 20 lbs.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the pic. Couldn't get it to upload via the phone so had to wait till I made it to work.
Attached Thumbnails Need help-black-kettle-1.jpg  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

That a good looking bird!

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.