HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Not sure about this year. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/420766-not-sure-about-year.html)

chez540 04-14-2019 09:10 PM

Not sure about this year.

I’m looking to get out of hunting. I’m tired of going it alone. I am tired of having my stuff stolen. I have had nothing but bad luck since my uncle passed. I have asked my brother many times if I could go with him or if he would go with me and he has ignored me. I honestly am at a loss at what to do. The woods used to be my sanctuary. This years turkey hunt is looking to be a bust with all the flooding. I'm just so frustrated!

LowCo19 04-15-2019 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by chez540 (Post 4354862)
I’m looking to get out of hunting. I’m tired of going it alone. I am tired of having my stuff stolen. I have had nothing but bad luck since my uncle passed. I have asked my brother many times if I could go with him or if he would go with me and he has ignored me. I honestly am at a loss at what to do. The woods used to be my sanctuary. This years turkey hunt is looking to be a bust with all the flooding. I'm just so frustrated!

Keep your head up. Don't waste your time on unreliable companions. Get out there and just enjoy being surrounded by it all.

Divenut2 04-15-2019 11:37 AM

Sounds like you're in need of some woods therapy. Get out there, do your thing and appreciate what you've got. Funny thing is, I've gotten away from hunting with others and have gone out solo hunting for the last 10 years or so. Not that the prior 35+ years of hunting with family and friends wasn't enjoyable and memorable. I just have really grown to appreciate the solitude and freedom of hunting alone. Does my mind, heart and soul good.

Be well

mrbb 04-15-2019 01:49 PM

well I can sort of relate, a few yrs back I hit like a wall on my desire to hunt
had a ton of things go south in my life, lost a few of my fav places to hunt when the land owners died, spent 20 yrs building a hunting property and 2 days before the final paperwork was to be signed over to me fully finally after a long rent to own deal, owner also passed away, and that turned into a minor law suit over the land, which I sadly ended up loosing it, my main job after almost 25 yrs, decided to leave the USA while I was out of work on a on the job back injury, and my best friend and best hunting partner my dog had to be put down due to some cancer tumors that popped up out of the blue!
Sucked the wind right out of me and my desire to hunt again
I was always fine hunting alone, but, some how I just lost desire in ME hunting, which I found I enjoy more now helping others get into and find new places to hunt
so, rather than ME hunting, I enjoy seeing others do it

I still spend a bunch of time in the outdoors, still enjoy looking for sheds and scouting deer and wildlife, but I have not hunted myself in a yr or two now
and honestly its been a nice break, never ever in my life thought I would NOT be out on opening day of deer, but some how I didn;t even mind it at all the first time I ever missed it
I did actually drive about and check on friends and even public lands to see others enjoying it!

a;most 30 yrs of hunting 3+ months a yr in several states a yr, I think I got burnt out and then add in all the above and more hits, and not hard to loose one's desire to hunt, even when you were a DIE hard hunter !

SO< way I see it, you DON"T have to hunt to enjoy hunting
and if your NOT enjoying hunting, DON"T do it, find joy in something else you DO enjoy

I have gone out and called in turkeys for NO reason other then to enjoy it, NO weapon needed nor a kill to make me feel happy !
also enjoy taking a camera with me and not a gun these days too!
a nice quiet walk in the woods is still one of my fav things to do, and can do them all yr round, NO hunting season needed to go and enjoy them!

Phil from Maine 04-15-2019 03:46 PM

Hunting can be frustrating but only if you let it. I hunt alone most of the time. I kind of like it like that. I don’t always see or get anything but enjoy being out there. To me it’s like fishing in a brook or stream someplace. I found that some people can’t wait to go tell some more buddies about it and take them in with them. Before you know it, it will be all fished out. The same idea with hunting and there’s nothing like sitting leaning against a tree trying your luck. If I was to get something every time I went out I would have to call it shopping instead of hunting. But whatever you decide is up to you. Myself I will choose to travel light and enjoy what I am doing.. Sometimes I might get a little bored and think about what others are doing. I even try to wonder about those people in the big cities who would love to spend just 5 minutes doing what we can do any day. Anyway good luck with what you decide to do..

chez540 04-15-2019 04:33 PM

Thank you. It turns out my season ended before it started. The place I hunt at flooded. My mom likes to tell me that if I had no bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I turned in my tag this morning. I figured if I couldn't use it someone could. I might try this fall, but in the mean time I will take your advise and just enjoy my time outdoors.
It's good to know I am not the only one frustrated at times. I might suck at hunting, but I love to fish.

LowCo19 04-16-2019 07:55 AM

Hell I look forward to being alone. Then you don't have to hunt any way but your own! Do what works for you!