Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How will snow effect hunting? >

How will snow effect hunting?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How will snow effect hunting?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default How will snow effect hunting?

I am curious how snow will effect turkey hunting. We had six inches of snow last week which is mostly gone from the fields now. But now we have up to a foot coming in today and tonight. No we are not used to snow this time of year. However we did get some when I was a young fella. Then we never had wild turkeys either. So even if this snow was gone by the end of the month it would still be in our woods. With turkey season starting up at the end of the month. How will all this snow effect the turkey hunting? Any of you ever hunted turkeys in this situation? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Snow doesn't bother turkeys much. I've shot them with a foot of snow on the ground. If the weather is appropriate, they strut and gobble no matter what.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only time snow really affects the movement of turkeys is when it is so deep that they sink in and can't walk have difficulty taking off hen on the ground. 6 inches won't bother them.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Love hunting them in the snow !

Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks everyone! I am hopeful that the snow will be gone by the time our season opens up. But it doesn’t look that way the way they have been coming in lately.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to track turkeys in the snow. Shows them all their haunts.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Shows them all their haunts."

I doubt the turkeys need to be shown theri haunts!
Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know that this morning they were all worked up before the snow hit. They were making a lot of racket and the hens were jumping and taking short flights while the toms were having it out. Now it’s snowing hard here.. I believe that where I live is the main route of travel. Across the river here is some pines that they roost in. Then across the road from me is a section of small alders and the like to the river. Beside my house is an old abandoned house with some brush growing near it. Then in back of me is four different fields. One of those fields is my own property which is only an acre and a half. But the turkeys with will travel threw it.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-08-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phil - the toms will still strut and gobble, but the hens will change a few things:

1) Their eating habits will change, in that they will concentrate on the most convenient/easiest food source they can find.
2) They will often head to the fields, where the snow typically melts the fastest - this will allow them to find new shoots and any worms/bugs that may be in the fields.
3) They will typically follow the path of least resistance - so start looking on logging roads or well-worn deer trails.

As for the toms:

1) The toms don't like to strut in snow that's too deep because their wing feathers get wet and can freeze at night. They will move to areas with less snow for strut zones - and in my experience they will continue to use those throughout the season (and these may be completely different than 'traditional' strut zones where you typically find toms).
2) They may change roost trees and opt for those with less snow and/or ice. These may or may not be temporary, it will depend on how many things the hens change (see above).

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you everyone! We only got around 4 inches from that storm that was supposed to dump a foot of snow on us. Then last night a two inch storm dumped around six inches of snow on us. Go figure. But, on the bright side it shouldn’t last very long. I will be glad once it’s all over with and we start getting some nice spring weather.. Those turkeys have been outside fighting the past two days I did get part of a fight on my phone with a video. It’s been good watching them just outside my window.. You can hear them thumping each other and all the squawking going on with it. The big Tom fans his tail but keeps his wings up in the snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.