Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
First Bird Despite Disrespectful Hunters >

First Bird Despite Disrespectful Hunters

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Bird Despite Disrespectful Hunters

Old 03-22-2019, 04:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I was hunting in an area where a dirt road went around an opening. It had some trees separating part of the opening from the road. I had a blind up any decoys out. I was calling in a decent flock of birds and a truck came by. They parked and got out and tried calling. I know that they could hear me and saw the birds heading into my direction. They came into range but I couldn’t shoot if I wanted to because of there location. So I got out and scared the turkeys off so that I wouldn’t be getting shot. The next year a friend set up there and the same thing happened only one of them walked up the road and the other guy walked out and scared them out towards the road where his friend shot a jake that came out. It’s wasn’t like they didn’t have any areas to hunt. Some people are lazy and have no respect for others.
In my mind that isn’t even hunting! I don’t understand the thrill of trying to push birds to someone else. I love the interaction. Honestly I wasn’t a fan of reaping either, and had it not been a buddy that had never shot a bird and didn’t get to hunt a lot I wouldn’t have tried it. After doing it once though, I can understand the rush people get, it was pretty cool.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Weekend Woodsmen

This was a dead end road and the first guy drove by as we were walking to the woods, but at the same time maybe you are right about the color blind part. I guess since I never got up and went to talk to him, maybe he didn’t realize that we were there. In any case it ended up working out for us, so I guess it was meant to be!
I'm almost 50 and, to be completely honest, I've gotten much better in giving people the benefit of the double over the past 10 years. Much of it has to do with evaluating my own mistakes and watching my 2 kids grow up. I figure if a guy with a PhD (me) and two extremely intelligent kids (both 4.0+ students) can unintentionally and royally screw stuff up - then so can anyone.

Besides, an ounce of honey is worth more than a pound of $hit, especially when two people with guns are involved
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should never argue with a person who has a gun in their hands.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

What state are you in WW?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 AM
Spike

We are in Ohio.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
What state are you in WW?
Pennsylvania