Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
10 Gauge Hammer of Thor. >

10 Gauge Hammer of Thor.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

10 Gauge Hammer of Thor.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Brownings web site shows they still currently make the BPS and the Gold in 10 ga.. I did not find any on Remingtons page. I own 2 BPS 10 and a remington SP 10 and I love hunting with any of them and would much rather shoot one of them over any 12ga 3.5"
Old 03-11-2019, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

For the OP, it looks like Browning which is a great choice. Can your gun shop order one for you? For grinder67, I'm curious as to why you prefer the 10 over the 12. Better distance?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

as will be all too common, the skill and experience of the person using the equipment has a huge effect on how effective it will be,
Ive used both an Ithaca 10 ga mag 10, and an benelli black eagle 12 ga 3" semi auto on dozens of hunts
the benelli has interchangeable chokes, its lighter and ammos cheaper
if you do your job as a hunter correctly either choice in shotguns works just fine,
but theres zero doubt the 10 ga throws a bit tighter /denser pattern and has measurably increased reach,
now that rarely is a huge factor, as I try very hard to get turkey into the 35-40 yard,max range before you fire,
yes the 10 ga is a larger gun and heavier and ammos at times harder to find,
but its not like you shoot several boxes of shells on a turkey hunt
I generally have a box of shells last a couple years.
so why would anyone want a 10 ga?
if youve ever had a turkey strutting around at 45-47 yards, and were reluctant
to risk wounding ,you know damn well the the reason,
and yeah its damn effective even at that range, and probably a lot further,
but I refuse to try stretching it past that.
having confidence in your equipment, and a well proven effective pattern, does mater.
theres also the shot size options, lots of the guys I hunt with use #2 shot in 2.25 oz 10 ga hand loads
and that will kill very well at 50 yards and probably a lot further,
btw I know from experience that both the powder charge and shot cup design DO have a noticeable effect on the shot pattern density
BLUE DOT POWDER and the ballistic products longer shot cups with the fed cases and 2.25 oz #2 shot is what Ive used on many hunts
IM NOT impressed with the MEC loader I use but it does work

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013168287/mec-600-jr-mark-5-single-stage-shotshell-press-10-gauge-3-1-2

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!ga=10%20Gauge

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Th...uctinfo/00M10/

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...18FLHD-LR2.pdf

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
as will be all too common, the skill and experience of the person using the equipment has a huge effect on how effective it will be,
Ive used both an Ithaca 10 ga mag 10, and an benelli black eagle 12 ga 3" semi auto on dozens of hunts
the benelli has interchangeable chokes, its lighter and ammos cheaper
if you do your job as a hunter correctly either choice in shotguns works just fine,
but theres zero doubt the 10 ga throws a bit tighter /denser pattern and has measurably increased reach,
now that rarely is a huge factor, as I try very hard to get turkey into the 35-40 yard,max range before you fire,
yes the 10 ga is a larger gun and heavier and ammos at times harder to find,
but its not like you shoot several boxes of shells on a turkey hunt
I generally have a box of shells last a couple years.
so why would anyone want a 10 ga?
if youve ever had a turkey strutting around at 45-47 yards, and were reluctant
to risk wounding ,you know damn well the the reason,
and yeah its damn effective even at that range, and probably a lot further,
but I refuse to try stretching it past that.
having confidence in your equipment, and a well proven effective pattern, does mater.
theres also the shot size options, lots of the guys I hunt with use #2 shot in 2.25 oz 10 ga hand loads
and that will kill very well at 50 yards
btw I know from experience that both the powder charge and shot cup design DO have a noticeable effect on the shot pattern density
BLUE DOT POWDER and the ballistic products longer shot cups with the fed cases and 2.25 oz #2 shot is what Ive used on many hunts
IM NOT impressed with the MEC loader I use but it does work

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013168287/mec-600-jr-mark-5-single-stage-shotshell-press-10-gauge-3-1-2

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!ga=10%20Gauge

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Th...uctinfo/00M10/

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...18FLHD-LR2.pdf

I'm going to add this, as this is a fact and an important part about ANY shotgun pattering
the Gauge of the shot gun doesn't mean it will shoot a better pattern
its a combination of a choke and load used in the gun
a LARGER gauge will MAYBE, ONLY have more shot in each round, that has NOTHING to do with how well or not it patterns out of the shotgun, the choke controls this'

a prime example is I have a die hard turkey hunter that uses a 10 gauge(rem)
he bought it 20+ yrs ago, wanting the biggest baddest shotgun in the woods LOL
his words! too by the way!
and then he shot it with the load he wanted to use
and the pattern was terrible, more OUT of a kill zone at 50 yards than in
we then shot several of our other 12 gauge , that others spent the time finding a load choke(many had custom chokes) and the 12 gauges held tighter patterns than his mighty 10 gauge
SURE the 10 gauge was throwing things down range with a LITTLE more power, but it just didn't pattern well AS IS<
he ended up buying a custom made choke tube and even goes as far as buying custom HIGH costing turkey loads, and it does shoot MUCH tighter patterns now(an added 250 bucks in costs for the choke and the ammo)
But to be honest, many guys in camp now with 12 ga 3.5 shells shoot patterns almost as tight, like maybe HE gets 10-12 extra BB's in a kill zone
and the basic 3 inch 12, are DARN close, with guys that have things dialed in!
the point again, here is NOT to bash the 10 gauge, just to say, its NOT the gauge that matters in HOW well a shotgun patterns, its all about the choke and ammo being fired thru it!
bigger gauge more powerful ?? doesn't matter if things don't hit the target!(and yes again 12 gauges and other shotguns might not pattern well here too in stock form with some loads in them)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

NEF was what I used and I assume they still make them, of course in single shot. I had one for about 5 yrs. and killed a lot of birds until I started missing I think as a result of the recoil. Mine used a .690 Rhino choke and I shot Nitro shells 4x5x7 (I think that was the load). It was heavy even with the 2 lb. weight out of the stock. My brother had the Ithaca Mag 10 many years ago but he didn't keep it very long. after using it he didn't like the recoil or bulkiness of the gun. Good luck. I thought I should add that the gun patterned very tight at 40 yds. I now shoot a Remington 12 ga 870 with Ray's shells.

Last edited by redmag; 03-11-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
He didn't ask about the performance or what was best. Or a comparison with 12s. He asked who all made 10 gauges still.

I've carried a .410, a 20, 16,12&10 gauge for turkey. Also a crossbow and a compound. (Only taken turkeys with the 10,12&20 and crossbow so far)

Not because I thought any were superior to the other. But because that's what I felt like doing.

It's not all about what performs the "best". It really isn't. Sometimes people just want to use something that they are interested in.

i don't know who makes new 10 gauges currently, although I would suspect there are some out there. I know that locally I often see 10s, especially single shots, on the classifieds and used shelves. And they are a 'blast' to bring out at a party

-Jake
Exactly.Thank you.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
For the OP, it looks like Browning which is a great choice. Can your gun shop order one for you? For grinder67, I'm curious as to why you prefer the 10 over the 12. Better distance?
No one stocks Brownings of any gauge and they say there aren,t any around anywhere.No distributer,warehouse,no where.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have done internet searches I just thought I could find out more info by askin.I don,t like spendin hours starin at a computer screen.I ain,t that computer savvy.I am far from inexperienced.A 20 gauge and a 16 gauge has been my go to for years and probably will use a 410 this year as well.I wish I would have bought a 10 back when more Co,s made em.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
NEF was what I used and I assume they still make them, of course in single shot. I had one for about 5 yrs. and killed a lot of birds until I started missing I think as a result of the recoil. Mine used a .690 Rhino choke and I shot Nitro shells 4x5x7 (I think that was the load). It was heavy even with the 2 lb. weight out of the stock. My brother had the Ithaca Mag 10 many years ago but he didn't keep it very long. after using it he didn't like the recoil or bulkiness of the gun. Good luck. I thought I should add that the gun patterned very tight at 40 yds. I now shoot a Remington 12 ga 870 with Ray's shells.

I,m to late for that party as well.Either Marlin sold it off before the Remington takeover.Or Remmy ceased NEF operations once they bought Marlin.I think the latter is the case.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recognize that sometimes it's nice to use a different gun, but in large part the body is not well-equipped to absorb the excessive recoil forces. The recoil force of a 10ga is approximately 63ft lbs. Yep, you read that right - 63 foot pounds. For anyone that likes rifle shooting, you might quickly realize that the 60+ recoil force is roughly the equivalent of firing a .458 used to hunt African big game. My brother has a 10ga NEF single-shot and after shooting it, I told him it would do less damage to his 60yo shoulder if he turned it into an anchor for his canoe. Personally, I don't think the 10ga has much of a place in modern turkey hunting.

In addition to the excessive recoil forces, I'll also make the argument that with the modern non-lead loads (such as the newer TSS and Winchester Longbeard) there is no advantage for using a 10ga. A 12ga can reach out comfortably to 60 yards and a well-patterned 20ga is capable of humanely harvesting birds at 45 yards all day long with the right choke and the newer loads.

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 03-12-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.