Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Patterned the Turkey Slayer >

Patterned the Turkey Slayer

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterned the Turkey Slayer

Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
Thanks

I never heard about TSS till this thread. I currently use Federal's 3rd Degree, 12 gauge 3" magnums. I'll have to buy me a couple of TSS boxes. I'am assuming that you still need a hevi-shot type of choke? Do you use reloads, Browning or Federal TSS?
Say if you flushed a turkey...
Do you think #9 TSS will penetrate the main body vitals (heart, liver, lungs) of a turkey in flight at 40 yards?
I use TSS straight 9s loaded by a company called Apex Ammo. The Federal TSS shells are okay but I have never liked the flight control wads they use in practically all their shells these days. They never pattern as well for me as a similar shell without that type of wadding. As I recall I was getting about 260 pellets in 10 inches at 40 yards with the Federal TSS compared to 347 with these Apex shells. But each shotgun is an entity unto itself and your mileage may vary on what yours likes. I have never intentionally body shot a turkey so I have limited experience answering that question. Yes you need to shoot it through a choke rated for denser than lead shot.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

TSS is a game changer for sure. I was able to switch over to a 20 gauge and get better results/pattern than my 12 did.
It is gonna be so sweet carrying a lighter and smaller gun and not having to worry about taking a normal shot.(40yds or less)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

So...do I need to purchase a TSS choke for TSS ammo?

What is the difference between the two different brands of Federal's TSS ammo.

I only bagged one flying jake --- one fall season --- on a 20 yard straight overhead shot --- That's after I took a head & neck shot at him on the ground.

Based on my experience arrowing a jake...If only one or two pellets hit the turkey's jugular vein in the neck --- and nothing else --- he'll take off like a quail and fly off about 100 yards before collapsing.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86
So...do I need to purchase a TSS choke for TSS ammo?

What is the difference between the two different brands of Federal's TSS ammo.

I only bagged one flying jake --- one fall season --- on a 20 yard straight overhead shot --- That's after I took a head & neck shot at him on the ground.

Based on my experience arrowing a jake...If only one or two pellets hit the turkey's jugular vein in the neck --- and nothing else --- he'll take off like a quail and fly off about 100 yards before collapsing.
Any choke rated for denser than lead shot will be fine. I wasn't aware that Federal was loading two distinctly different TSS shells. The Federal Heavyweight TSS shot is what you want. You want the stuff that is 18gm/cc in density. That is the stuff that's a game changer in the world of turkey hunting. You can drop down to number 9 shot with this stuff and get incredible patterns yet still have enough penetration to kill turkeys impressive distances. It is generally accepted that 1.25 inches of penetration in ballistic gel is the minimum acceptable amount of penetration suitable to consistently kill a turkey. Number 9 TSS shot launched at 1100 FPS will penetrate to 1.25 inches in ballistic gel out to 72 yards.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finally opened my Cabelas flyer on turkey hunting that lists the two Federal TSS brands. I know from experience at the range, that ported choke tubes will shear off plastic from the rear pedals of the Flite-Control wads. But Federal says its okay to use ported choke tubes on the more expensive TSS --- But they do not mention it on the cheaper TSS box.

I'm not concerned...since I don't have any ported choke tubes.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, the 18g/cc Federal shell is supposed to have a more "Flexible" flight control wad that is okay with ported chokes. I tried them and got perfectly acceptable patterns that I could certainly use if i wanted to. It's just that I get better patterns with the Apex stuff.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Yeah, the 18g/cc Federal shell is supposed to have a more "Flexible" flight control wad that is okay with ported chokes. I tried them and got perfectly acceptable patterns that I could certainly use if i wanted to. It's just that I get better patterns with the Apex stuff.
I'll check out the Apex

Thanks...

P.S. --- While driving home from the range this morning...I saw a whole flock of wild turkeys scratching the grass in a guys front yard --- about 30 yards of the main road. Two toms were in full strut.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-10-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 03-11-2019, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

For the OP, that's an impressive pattern. I had looked at the price on the shelf and passed since I didn't know anybody who had shot it or patterned it. I may have to look at it again, especially for smaller caliber guns.