Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Not sure this year

Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Not sure this year

Ive been debating this for a while now as to whether to doing a 2019 turkey contest. The numbers of the contest have been dropping for a while now. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the contest. So how many want a contest this year?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm interested, but I do see your point. Some of the apparent lack of interest in may be traffic going to another website/forum...O.G.
Is the information there better? Is it b/c it's newer?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

OG has been around as long as this place.

We certaiy have been in decline. Ive got stats from 240 players at one time.

Hey Kenny let's take them all on.
I had over 420 amassed pts last yr.

BUT
it is alot of work
Once we stop I doubt it will ever be reserected.

JW
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

The turkey contest was a popular, and long standing tradition here at HNI. But, as with the rest of the site numbers have declined.

I'm torn on things like this. We did away with the deer contest, and it's just gone. As mentioned, likely never to return.

I hate to see it go. But imI also aware of the amount of work that goes into a contest like this. And it's substantial.

-Jake
Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I would play, I enjoy meeting other members/ hunters and sharing and hearing there stories.
I have been in the contest for about 5 years, and even back then we had a good # of teams.
I understand the hard work that goes into it, especially when you guys are trying to turkey hunt also. Few years ago our team lost by a few points because 1 of our team members was Missing, he killed a bird eraly in the seasonand just never posted the score or took pictures, and never posted to the team thread again. So I am torn between what is worst: not having a contest at all or having only a handful of teams and some of the team members will never post or contribute to the team talk.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I remember that year.

Everyone was PMing him trying to get him to come back and post lol

-Jake
Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
OG has been around as long as this place.

We certaiy have been in decline. Ive got stats from 240 players at one time.

Hey Kenny let's take them all on.
I had over 420 amassed pts last yr.

BUT
it is alot of work
Once we stop I doubt it will ever be reserected.

JW
hahaha think we would win Dave?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bornagain64
I would play, I enjoy meeting other members/ hunters and sharing and hearing there stories.
I have been in the contest for about 5 years, and even back then we had a good # of teams.
I understand the hard work that goes into it, especially when you guys are trying to turkey hunt also. Few years ago our team lost by a few points because 1 of our team members was Missing, he killed a bird eraly in the seasonand just never posted the score or took pictures, and never posted to the team thread again. So I am torn between what is worst: not having a contest at all or having only a handful of teams and some of the team members will never post or contribute to the team talk.

Yes I remember it as well
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know a forum named OG but this place has been slowing down for a while. Prolly a lot of reasons why.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

I would be in this contest till the end. I think my first year was 07 or 08. I'll agree the numbers have diminished, but looking back there were a few users who bashed everything you said. I'm not saying that's the reason for the decline, but it didn't help. I do both contest and I give each 100% effort. Heck for the last 2 years I've been our captain and enjoyed every minute of it. It helps when there's people, who especially are computer savvy, that will jump in to help out. I know it has to be a ton of work to try to hunt and run a contest. Especially when the numbers have dropped like they have. Sometimes you might think, why do it even still mess with it... but it still went on. I personally get wrapped up in the detailed stories from other states. Hearing what they done or how the bird played the game in a different part of the world for me is so cool, I get to playing it out in my head on how it went by their story. Maybe I'm just weird like that, lol. Either way it has been a privilege for me to be part of huntingnet and getting to share my stories here. Contest or not I still will share them stories. Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.