Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Total Beginner

Old 02-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

I think the problem is this guy doesn't necessarily know all the parameters of his citizenship status which could result in different answers, etc. It's not bad. It just means there are more questions to be answered before we could necessarily give him the most informative answers.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I think it,s great he has an interest in huntin especially w/out anyone there he knows to help him.I wish him all the best and wish he would come back on here.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Hopefully he didn,t get scared off Joe and became overwhelmed with mrbb,s post.Maybe he found out he and his mom lost their citizenship like mrbb said and he gave up.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in NY and still have family in the Southern tier, about 4 hrs from NYC. Coincidentally, I recently had my DNA tested and am now constructing my family tree - I can date my Dutch ancestors on my father's side back to ~650AD Groningen, Holland ...Goedendag!

Before you do anything else, you'll need to complete the Hunter Safety course before you can purchase a license to hunt in NYS. To my knowledge the entire course is not offered online and therefore a portion of it must be completed in person. You would need to complete this by April, because these typically aren't offered during the month of May when it's spring turkey season (before and after, but not the season).

Once you get your Hunter Safety certificate, you can then purchase a NYS non-resident base license ($100) and a turkey permit ($20). There is no drawing for turkey permits in NYS and these are sold 'over the counter', which means these can be purchased by anyone holding a valid base license.

The bigger problem is buying a gun. If you're hunting with friends or family - then just use of their guns because it will be 100x easier. If you want to buy one - then contact a gun shop and tell them you're story. Even though you're an American citizen you've never had a physical US address, and therefore I have no idea how much (or what type) of paperwork is required for someone in your situation to buy a gun.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a private message.

Veel succes!
S&R
Old 02-28-2019, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I highly doubt you,ll ever hear from him S@R.