Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Winchester Longbeard xr VS Longbeard xr magnum? >

Winchester Longbeard xr VS Longbeard xr magnum?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Winchester Longbeard xr VS Longbeard xr magnum?

Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Winchester Longbeard xr VS Longbeard xr magnum?

Has anyone tried to pattern these 2 against each other? I am curious if the tradeoff of the extra 21 pellets in the magnum is worth the loss in 150 FPS. Also if pattern is affected by either. The 21 pellets is approximate with the 3" #5 shells
Old 05-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

No personal experience, but there are more than a few blogs and videos online.

I have a friend who tired the 3.5 #5, he found significantly more hits at 50 yards.

I’ve been unable to find any 3” magnums...
Old 05-23-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yea there are tons of info on the longbeards but the problem is they have recently come out with a magnum version. Not much info comparing the 2.

The original 3" has 1 3/4 oz lead with 1200 ft/sec. The new magnum 3" has 1 7/8 oz lead and 1050 ft/sec. I'm curious if the extra lead in the magnum version is worth the 150 fr/sec loss in velocity and whether it impacts the pattern at all. This data is for the #5 shot
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only listing I have seen is in #5's for the 1 7/8oz. loads. What I have heard from some guys who shoot quite a lot is that the slower loads seem to pattern better than the faster stuff.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Yea there are tons of info on the longbeards but the problem is they have recently come out with a magnum version. Not much info comparing the 2.

The original 3" has 1 3/4 oz lead with 1200 ft/sec. The new magnum 3" has 1 7/8 oz lead and 1050 ft/sec. I'm curious if the extra lead in the magnum version is worth the 150 fr/sec loss in velocity and whether it impacts the pattern at all. This data is for the #5 shot
Kelly - the magnum version of the Longbeard XR came out in 2015 - they're not new by any sense of the word. http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...xr-magnum.aspx

However, finding them is the challenger - I've been trying for a few years, and they sell out so quick online they're next to impossible to get from Midway or Mack's. I can't find them locally, which is why I have no personal experience

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 05-31-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Kelly - the magnum version of the Longbeard XR came out in 2015 - they're not new by any sense of the word. http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...xr-magnum.aspx

However, finding them is the challenger - I've been trying for a few years, and they sell out so quick online they're next to impossible to get from Midway or Mack's. I can't find them locally, which is why I have no personal experience

I just bought 4 boxes off Buds gun shop. I have had more of a problem finding the originals lol. I am already sighted in for the magnums so I guess I will stay till these boxes run out at least. Maybe by then there will be a bit more info out there or I'll just bite the bullet and get a few boxes of each to try out.