Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Favorite way to eat/cook your turkey. >

Favorite way to eat/cook your turkey.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Favorite way to eat/cook your turkey.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bone them out and run them through the grinder.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I bone them out and run them through the grinder.
I do the same. Only other way that is OK is slow cook them in a crock pot but more trouble than it is worth. I just breast them and grind that. Turkey burgers on the grill with onions and green peppers mixed in is nice.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Been killing these things since 1975. Tried eating them many different way and they weren't worth the trouble to me. My wife tried in vain and then one day while talking to an old mountain lady that lived near us when we lived in Hardy CO, WV told her she has cooked them a 100 different ways and they ain't good. Now any that I kill in the spring or fall goes to friends and neighbors. There may be a better way but the most palatable has been to cut into small chunks, roll in seasoning and flour and fry. The folks I give them to seem to like it and that's ok with me.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I either chop into a mush and then pan fry with a drizzle of teriyaki and serve with Dijon mustard.....OR....cut into small cubes and brown in the skillet and then add to vegetable soup.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Spike

I bought an electric smoker this fall. Merinade the breast overnight in the fridge and boy are they nice smoked! Super easy with an electric smoker.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

If yall have a smoker you should try it. I'll find the brine recipe I use and get posted along with a few directions. Ya won't be disappointed!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

smoked wild turkey breast

wrapped in bacon

brine

1. 2 quarts water

2. ½ cup kosher salt

3. ½ cup brown sugar

4. 2 tb garlic powder

5. 2 tb onion powder

6. ¼ cup apple cider vinegar

dry rub (adjust to taste)

1. 3 tb coarse black pepper

2. 1 ts cayenne (or chipotle)

3. 1 tb garlic powder

4. 1 ts cumin

5. 1 ts smoked paprika

clean and place turkey breast in brine and soak for 24 hours. Remove from brine and rub with dry rub. Wrap with bacon and smoke on 200 degrees (can go up to 225 if ya like) until the breast reaches an internal temp of 155 to 160. Remove from smoker and loosly cover with foil for 15 to 30 min. Slice and dig in!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Spike

I like to cut the breasts up into cutlets about 1/4 inch thick. Then, I dip them in beaten eggs and then coat the cutlets with Italian bread crumbs. Then, I fry them in olive oil.