Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Looking for a new all around Shotgun >

Looking for a new all around Shotgun

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking for a new all around Shotgun

Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bornagain64
Strut,
I agree with your skepticism, and I need to do more research.

Kelly, did you decide on a gun yet? Picking the gun is only the beggining: then you have to try different shell and choke tubes and figure out what sight to run.
Not yet. It normally take a ton of research to get me to pull the wallet out lol. I am tossing up the idea to just go to a pistol grip and burris fastfire 3 on the old Mossberg. I am getting great patterns its just that dang muzzle rise.

Only problem with the stocks is the camo on the 835 is very outdated and I am not sure if I could get the stock dipped to match.

That price on the Winchester SX3 is pretty good though. Might be cheaper to get it then sell the old gun lol. Decisions Decisions
Old 04-20-2018, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

I love my SBE II. I hunt everything out of it (turkey, deer, ducks, geese, pheasant, etc.) and I don't even have to change the choke. I keep improved cylinder in it year round and it serves all purposes for me. Before telling me I need a full choke for turkey I understand everyones opinion. I have killed 36 turkeys with it and haven't missed one as of yet. Also, have never had a problem with it and have put it through hell. Obviously they aren't cheap but for me they are awesome.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

As far as the stocks go I have narrowed it down to 3 if I go that route. Phoenix Technology Kicklite, ATI T3, and the ATI Shotforce PGS.

Anyone have any experience with any of these. Can't really find many reviews on the duability and over all recoil advantage.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by johnst43
I love my SBE II. I hunt everything out of it (turkey, deer, ducks, geese, pheasant, etc.) and I don't even have to change the choke. I keep improved cylinder in it year round and it serves all purposes for me. Before telling me I need a full choke for turkey I understand everyones opinion. I have killed 36 turkeys with it and haven't missed one as of yet. Also, have never had a problem with it and have put it through hell. Obviously they aren't cheap but for me they are awesome.
I hear ya about the SBE 2. That is one of my dream guns. I just can't throw 1800$ down at least for a few more years lol
Old 04-20-2018, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kelly -

I seem to recall that you do a lot of run&gun type turkey hunting - if so, make sure you carefully consider the weights of a 12ga semiauto (I'm just assuming you're looking at 12ga because of the waterfowl comment). I know quite a few older guys who have moved from 12ga pump to 20ga semiautos for turkeys, and they say even that 1/2 pound and reduced recoil makes a big difference. However, I'm not sure I'd want a 20ga for Canadian geese.

A newer stock may be your best option - or have you considered a new pump? If you like the SBE then maybe a new Nova is the next step...
Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Kelly -

I seem to recall that you do a lot of run&gun type turkey hunting - if so, make sure you carefully consider the weights of a 12ga semiauto (I'm just assuming you're looking at 12ga because of the waterfowl comment). I know quite a few older guys who have moved from 12ga pump to 20ga semiautos for turkeys, and they say even that 1/2 pound and reduced recoil makes a big difference. However, I'm not sure I'd want a 20ga for Canadian geese.

A newer stock may be your best option - or have you considered a new pump? If you like the SBE then maybe a new Nova is the next step...

I thought about the Nova as I have a friend that has one and has no complaints at all. I think that after much consideration I will just make a dedicated turkey rig and then combine all the other hunting into a second gun. The weight really of the 835 really hasn't bothered me while turkey hunting. It's just the pain of trying gain control again to get a follow up shot if needed because of the muzzle rise. If replacing the stock will do it then I may be leaning that way.

I own an older Rem 870, older Rem 1100 and a Saiga 12 that I will consider selling all except the 870 (wife uses it) to get the SBE in the future.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting 3 or 3.5" shells? If you're using 3.5", dropping down to 3" would significantly help recoil and muzzle...
Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Are you shooting 3 or 3.5" shells? If you're using 3.5", dropping down to 3" would significantly help recoil and muzzle...
Already went down in size lol. It helped with the recoil, getting a much tighter pattern but only slightly helped with the muzzle rise. With the 3.5" the damn gun would fly up and knock my hat off lol. If I do my part and make the first shot count then its not a problem lol.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stoegers use Benelli's inertia bolt system for less $.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JoeA
Stoegers use Benelli's inertia bolt system for less $.

Ended up keeping the Mossy 835 for now and adding the Stoeger M2000. Put a Indian Creek in the Stoeger and just waiting on time to get out and play. If I like the inertia gun I will start saving for the Benelli and maybe start looking for a good deal in a couple years.

The Stoeger has the Steady grip and it feels good for turkey hunting but will more than likely be dedicated just to that.

I have also been given a 1970 model Browning A5 from my dad that had picked one up several years back used and never took it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.