Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Good Turkey Vest That's Hydration Compatible >

Good Turkey Vest That's Hydration Compatible

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Good Turkey Vest That's Hydration Compatible

Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Good Turkey Vest That's Hydration Compatible

Anybody have a good turkey vest they can recommend that's also hydration compatible? Curious to see what everybody else is using.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I have one I bought 15 or 20 years ago. I think it was bucklick creek or something like that. I think they got bought out by someone else now though. It has a nice pouch in the back which carries all my decoys and can carry out a full sized tom. Plenty of pockets and pouches one dedicated for a paddle type box call. The beauty of this particular vest is the built in seat which is self supporting. You lower it from inside the back and it has straps on the side so it supports you kind of like a bucket seat. I try to set up against a tree for safety but often there are branches or abnormalities in the trunk so the seat supports you without having to lean on the tree. It allows you to sit comfortably with your knees up to rest the gun on. I can wear the vest and lower the seat and sit comfortably right in the middle of a field. It is all camo and a perfect vest.
I looked on line and see Bass Pro's Red Head has their own version. It looks like the seat is similar but think the overall set up is different. Not sure if better without looking at one.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-10-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about this same thing over the winter.

After looking at newer vests and considering all of my options, I decided to keep my old Mossy Oak vest (20+ years old now) and get a backpack with a hydration reservoir. My decision was easier when I found a few Timberhawk packs on clearance for $5 each at Walmart. These packs have the quiet cloth and some pockets, so when I decide to run and gun I'm just gonna pop in a diaphragm and grab the pack. Now that I've recruited my son and wife, the packs also give me the extra space I need to mule bottled water, snacks and anything else needed to occupy 3-4 hours of time - much better than my vest. I also bought 2 packs, so I'm not the only mule

As for sitting, I typically go prone whenever I'm in a field, but I can honestly say that my lower back and legs have thanked me for almost 20 years for spending $10 on an HS Strut Seat:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/57...Strut-_-578234
Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've been using a Hunter's Specialty for a few years but it didn't have a hydration compatible pouch and the pockets were basic snap pockets that didn't keep my box call, water bottle or other calls quiet. I bought a Cabelas vest last fall and didn't really check it out or use it until this spring and then found they have the chest buckles sown in backwards. I picked up a Redhead vest a week ago to try. It's hydration compatible but only holds a tiny 1-liter hydration pack (too small) and the entire vest rides low on my back which isn't comfortable to carry a tom in.

I've been looking around but don't see much that is hydration compatible and designed to ride higher like a hunting pack. It probably wouldn't be as bad for me if I sat and called the birds to me but I like to hike and spot and stalk hunt the toms. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I have one I bought 15 or 20 years ago. I think it was bucklick creek or something like that. I think they got bought out by someone else now though. It has a nice pouch in the back which carries all my decoys and can carry out a full sized tom. Plenty of pockets and pouches one dedicated for a paddle type box call. The beauty of this particular vest is the built in seat which is self supporting. You lower it from inside the back and it has straps on the side so it supports you kind of like a bucket seat. I try to set up against a tree for safety but often there are branches or abnormalities in the trunk so the seat supports you without having to lean on the tree. It allows you to sit comfortably with your knees up to rest the gun on. I can wear the vest and lower the seat and sit comfortably right in the middle of a field. It is all camo and a perfect vest.
I looked on line and see Bass Pro's Red Head has their own version. It looks like the seat is similar but think the overall set up is different. Not sure if better without looking at one.
I have been looking at the Tat'r 2 from cabelas and the Redhead lounger at bass pro. How easy is it do deploy the seat in the Bucklick. I tried it on and sat in it and it was pretty comfy other than not much cushion for the assets lol. I was having problems deploying the seat quickly with it coming down from the inside. Is there an easy way to get use to this?

I went to look at the cabelas vest but the store here was sold out of all vests and most calls. The season isn't even a week long and the shelves were bare. Not very impressed with here.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cal -

If 1L was too small then I think you're definitely going to need a pack, I think all of the hydration units I've seen for vests are under 2L and usually 1L. You could probably also wear a tactical pack either under or over your vest to have even more options.

I'd personally look at Camelbak, they make hydration camo packs specifically for the hunting and tactical crowd. I'm not sure how how large the reservoir is on the hunting packs, but I know they make a 3-4L reservoir for their lightweight tactical models. Probably start around $75-100.

EDIT: I just found this Marchway tactical pack on Amazon. Appears to be highly rated, relatively cheap and the pockets look big enough to hold enough calls to work well for run & gun turkey hunting:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 04-11-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Great minds do think alike. I checked that tactical pack and it's very impressive. I guess I'm being a bit fussy. I want the pack to hold my box and tom calls, be hydration compatible and be able to carry a tom back out of the field. I usually hike anywhere from 3-8 miles while hunting and don't want to carry a tom over my shoulders for several miles back.

I don't care about a seat as I rarely use them. Having ice water in a hydration badder is like night and day for hiking up and down hills for miles though. Now if Badlands would hurry up with the new turkey vest they're still designing (I use their packs for deer hunting and they're spot on). Until then, maybe I need to find a way to anchor my CamelBak to the back of one of my current turkey vests.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Have someone sew a camo pouch on the back of the vest or inside of the decoy pouch to fit a camelback hydration pack. My vest has quite a few outside and inside pockets specifically designed for calls, bug spray, head nets, gloves etc. I like a seat since even when spot and stalking I always sit and set up when I want a tom to come in. I sit with my back to a tree to break up silhouette and for safety and spread a box call, slate/ ceramic call in my lap and have a diaphragm call in my mouth. If I have time I'll set out a couple of decoys. I will have on a head net and gloves and the gun will be on my knee ready to aim. If I set up on a tom I spotted my goal is to call him into my setup. I have had that take an hour or two depending on how hot he is and what he has with him. The seat makes it easier to remain comfortable and dry.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cal -

Yep, I would attach it and in some manner make it removable (maybe snap clips or something durable but quiet) so you can take it off when you get to the tree.

You may already know about this - but have you seen the 'paracord turkey tote'? If not, it's a simple woven paracord rope with slip knots, that some hunters are raving about for carrying out birds. I usually slip the gobbler in my vest too, but my wife is making a tote for me to use this spring - it does have the advantage of hanging the bird off a tree when you stop to take a break (even in the vest, those 20+lb birds aren't getting any lighter as I get older).
Old 04-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Heck!! I stalked the last 2 toms without any vest or anything to carry them but holding both legs while hiking back to the truck. Sure is lots easier crawling to sneak up on them without a vest, etc. I hadn't heard about the paracord turkey tote before and may have to check that one out. It sounds like it would fit in a pants pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.