HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What's Your Strangest Hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/417727-whats-your-strangest-hunt.html)

Weekend Woodsmen 04-07-2018 06:55 AM

What's Your Strangest Hunt?

Last year we had a BIG tom working this field. After playing games with him all morning, an airplane buzzed the field flying low which sent the gobbler into a gobbling frenzy before running towards us, ultimately giving us the shot. We couldn't believe it! The tom ended up weighing in a 24lbs with 1.5" spurs! A real giant! Here's the video to prove it!

Arrowmaster 04-07-2018 07:57 PM

I was hunting a field and I had some gobbling behind me. I cut real loud and next thing I know is I have a hen come out of know where and dive bomb me knocking my hat and head net off my head. She stood 2 ft away and gave me the business bad. As she stood there carrying on I catch movement to my left. It was a tom. Needless to say he at 3 feet he met my 12ga. THe wading stuck in his head

Bocajnala 04-09-2018 09:57 AM

My first turkey was pure luck.

I drove to our hunting camp after working second shift. Got in around 2AM and went to bed. Didn't feel like getting up early.

Got up and got some breakfast and drove over to my uncles place to ask him if he'd been seeing any turkeys recently. He tokld me a field he'd been seeing them in.

Mind you, at this point I have zero turkey experience. I took my shotgun and walked down the edge of that field and sat down.

I wasn't even settled in yet when I see a turkey walking down the edge towards me. Waited until he was right on top of me and let him have it.

Had an 11" beard and 1" spurs. I was back to the truck 12 minutes after I had gotten out. And back to my uncles place 20 minutes later showing it off.

He was quite surprised. I was wearing field pants and a dark blue hoodie. Had no idea what I was doing. But got a nice bird.

-Jake

Bucknwfl 04-10-2018 01:04 PM

Field bird

Me and a buddy were hunting some birds that were flying down in a big flat plowed field every morning in a different place. The field was about 300 acres and you could see every inch from anywhere in the field. Birds fly down with hens about 409 yards from us and we work them for a while but they don’t move much just strut with the hens. After a few hours the hens start to leave and one of the gobblers starts to drift down the field to us strutting the whole way. I held my gun up for probably 20 minutes and by the time he was 30 yards I was tired. I cluck to get him out of a strut but no luck. I am sure I can kill him but I wobbled and shot a little low and bird goes over but gets up and flies off. I nearly puked in my head net. We sit tight cause birds are still in the field and I am still trying to gather up my tears and sick stomach. 20 - 30 minutes go by turkeys leave I says we might as well go. buddy says hey there is your turkey I say where and am looking everywhere but nothing. He says up there and sure enough about 100 ft above the field he is flying in circles like a duck circling a pond. He slowly get lower and lower and then falls out of the sky like a heart shot dove and bounces off the ground and I am so happy and the high fives started. We gather up our stuff and look once again to make sure no birds are back in the field and low and behold the gobbler is back on his feet in the middle of the field staggering like a drunk man headed to the other side. I decide to sprint to him about 300 yards or so then stopped to shoot him properly again about 40 yards. 11 1/2 bears and 1 1/2 spurs toughest bird I ever killed as least that I found. I learned a lot about turkeys that day

Thanks

Buck

Uncle Nicky 04-11-2018 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Strangest was a few years ago. I was hunting in Georgia, with another guy. The buddy wanted to sleep in a little, so I headed out in the dark, not much happening that morning. My buddy calls me about 9:00 and says he is pulling into the big field (I am in the woods), and he sees a big strutter and doesn't want to bump him. I told him I'll come to the field edge and check it out. When I get to the field, I see the bird about 350 yards away, in the middle of the field (BIG agriculture field). After quite a while, we both figured the bird wasn't going anywhere, so we decided we had to make something happen. My buddy (mostly a deer and pheasant hunter) said he would try making a push on gobbler, and maybe drive it to me. I SERIOUSLY had my doubts (this is turkey hunting, not pheasant hunting, right???), but I said sure, give it a try. Anyway, I'll be darned, but instead of flying off or running for the closest field edge, the bird stayed about 100 yards in front of him, at a slow trot. When the bird was within 100 yards, I was thinking, " this may just happen", and by the time the bird was at 35 the safety was off and I was already mentally filling the tag. I still have a hard time believing we made a successful "push" on a gobbler, but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction!

Oldtimr 04-11-2018 07:31 AM

Several years ago I was hunting the spring season. I had gobbler sounding off across the road and behind me in the woods. All of a sudden it started to rain hard so I ran into the landowners big double door garage. The gobblers across the street were sill gobbling so I grabbed an old chair and sat in the middle of an open door and called. The gobblers responded when I called but they wouldn't move. I called a little softer and all of a sudden at the left side of the garage door a hen turkey stuck her head inside and stared at me. She stayed until I move then she ran away. Had she been a gobbler, I could not have shot because I would have hit the garage wall. No bird that day but a story.

shemp 04-13-2018 09:52 AM

Possible the turkey that was turning in a circle constantly gobbling at a helicopter. I winged him...sappling took the blunt of the #4s.

Maybe one of the may limbhoppers that have come into range (only 1 shot as he decended to the ground).

Funny...you hope for a textbook hunt but now that I think back on it, not very many hunts have been 'textbook'