Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What are your decoy recommendations? >

What are your decoy recommendations?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What are your decoy recommendations?

Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

You say you used a decoy but was it a DSD ? That could be the difference. I to have had some birds come in and show no interest and some even start to putt. But since using DSDs more come than don't.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I use Avian X but if I had the money I would upgrade to the DSD. As far as the avian X not taking a shot when it starts to deflate you can cut a hole in it and use that spray expanding foam. Works wonders lol
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

came to the conclusion I don't need dekes, have killed more gobblers than most folks see in their lifetime.
RR
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just left the DSD website. No way I am paying that much for a turkey decoy.

I agree with RR. Oftentimes, the lack of a decoy makes the tom more curious causing him to search vigorously for the calling source.

Run and gun I usually leave the decoys (el cheapo's but have good shape and coloring) in my bag. If a midday, cold setup on a field, I will deploy a flock of decoys and take a nap.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Decoys

In my opinion any decoy will work if set up right I use the cheap ones that all the other expensive ones put to shame and they work great. If I use them I put them in a clearing just far enough out so the gobblers can see them from the hill they travel and it works great. I use decoys other places once in a while, 20 yards from me with the Jake always facing me so if need be you can move with the gobbler facing away.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Called up a bird in 2016 that me and a buddy had roosted. Set the decoy up 30 yards in front of us. Bird hit the ground coming right in. Got to the top of the hill where he could see the decoy. We were sitting on the other side of the dip so we weren't in his line of sight. The second he saw the decoy he folded up and walked off gobbling every so often.

Had another bird that that came all the way across clear cut gobbling. We were caught between him to our left, a strutter just over the ridge about 100 yards, and birds to our right about 120 yards. We had a dogwood tree about the size of a man's calf to set up on. Bird decoyed in to 30 yards and the other end of a load of Nitro.

Some days it works. Some days it doesn't.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have had turkeys walk right into no decoys just calling and also hang up at 50 yards and strut! I have had the same thing happen with decoys but since I started using the DSD decoys there are way more that come right in than don't ! I have had hens strut and try and gobble at the DSD hen and stay in the decoy set up for a half hour just working over that decoy purring and yelping until along comes old tom wondering what is happening. I have had 3 jakes take turns one after the other on the decoy and even had one of them squat down and fall a sleep for 15 minutes next to it. Several toms as well have hung around even after shooting their buddy. Now that I am doing more bow hunts I would't be without one !! You can say they are expensive but if you are like me and do alot of turkey hunting they are cheap. I have had them for about 5 years and they are still like new while all the cheap ones lose their shape bend etc in a year or even before the season is done. I have even shop my jake and just a small touch up and you would never know it . Only problem is if you fall asleep and then get jolted awake for some reason don't shoot them lol !!