Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What are your decoy recommendations? >

What are your decoy recommendations?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What are your decoy recommendations?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are your decoy recommendations?

For those of you that hunt often or exclusively with dekes, what are some of your favorites currently on the market?

I'm always looking to add to my arsenal of decoys, and therefore I was just wondering what other people are using with success. Anyone have any success with the newer dekes by GHG?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

DSD are the best, but they are are awfully expensive. I have had good results with Avian X, but they won't stand up to stray shot hitting them.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

I use the Avian X
Old 02-08-2018, 04:55 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I've used all brands at times.
Pros and Cons on any brand you choose.
But if I use a decoy or decoys I prefer DSD. They can take a hit.....had a buddy hit em twice with really no ill effects. Always keep their shape. Easy to deploy. Swing life like in any breeze. Metal stake which is stored in the body. Other than some shot embedded in the body. I show that goofball that each time I take him with me.
And the paint has been awesome. I give them a Dawn dish soap bath and they look brand spanking new. Going on 6 yrs.
Only thing I add and that is to any decoy, I clear nail polish the eyes.

Con....they are heavy.

JW

Last edited by JW; 02-08-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with JW DSD are hard to beat. I have carried them in the mountains of New Mexico, plains in Montana, Forests in Alabama and every where in between there are great especially if you are archery hunting. I have had mine since they first came out and they are still in excellent condition and I have carried them in some pretty rough country.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 AM
JW
Super Moderator

For the DSD (set of 4) I bought a Avery four slot goose decoy bag. Has a great shoulder strap. Which makes carrying the flock far easier than the provided single storage bags.

JW

Last edited by JW; 02-09-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

DSD here as well. Bit the bullet about 5 years ago. Very good product
Old 02-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

will not use them, after 4 years came to the conclusion they will not work here
RR
Old 02-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

I must admit I have never hunted in West Virginia for spring turkey although I do have a standing invite some day so I can't argue if you say they don't work there but I do know they work in Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Michigan, Iowa and Ontario.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes they work in ky, I know that. I used a decoy in wv for over 4 seasons, once had a gobbler respond to it. all the rest of the time they either immediately walked the other direction upon seeing it, or they lock into a strut as soon as they see it, strut back and forth 5 minutes, then just walk off. the one gobble that came into the decoy had a death wish, he would have died with just scratching in the leaves. They may very well work in other parts of the state, I have hunted most of wv, and a lot of Virginia, these here in Hardy County WV are a lot different, they act totally different for some unknown (by me) reason.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.