HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Looking for the new box call (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/417003-looking-new-box-call.html)

Conquistador 01-24-2018 01:44 PM

Looking for the new box call

So, its been a bit less then a year since my first turkey hunt. This year I drew my first option in IL public land, pretty pumped about it. I learned so much this last year, not going to repeat any of those rookie mistakes. I wasn't confident at all with any of my calls last year except for my owl hooter and my box call. However, I want to look for a quality box call, just looking for any recommendations. My last box call was a chepo can't even remember the brand. Thanks.

Strut&Rut 01-25-2018 06:08 AM

When you say quality - are you looking for something that's $50 or $500? I've found that the $10 box calls bring birds in as well as $200 calls - it's more about the weather, the bird, the part of the season, yada yada.

Considering you just started turkey hunting - and it's only January - instead of getting a different box call I suggest that you take the opportunity to start using other types of calls. Practice with slate, glass and mouth calls now, and by the time the season starts you should be proficient and comfortable enough to have an arsenal of calls.

Having more calls doesn't necessarily make you a better hunter, but it definitely is a lot more fun and interesting, and options are always nice. I've switched calls during the middle of a hunt, more than once, and turned that call-shy bird a 100 yards away into a target standing 20 yards away in literally minutes - changing calls can be that effective. Mastering a mouth call is one of the best strategic moves you can make, especially if you don't use a blind...

JoeA 01-25-2018 10:32 AM

Listen to Strut&Rut's advice. It and similar versions have been posted & reposted a lot, as new hunters embrace "the fever".

My feelings on any call is if the turkeys like it, I love it.

Just for fun, try this. Most guys move the lid over the box to get a yelp. Flip the call over so you move the box over lid. Sometimes little changes like that make a huge difference to the turkeys.

bald9eagle 03-12-2018 02:13 PM

David Halloran Calls. Check out Midwest Turkey Supply for some good calls. I don't use anything but custom calls anymore just because. The sound is better but more than anything I like using something that I know was hand made.

Coastal Mountaineer 03-13-2018 04:19 AM

Lynch's World Champion Caller

1 Attachment(s)
My first turkey call was the Lynch World Champion. Bought it 30 years ago and still use it today. Replaced a lot of rubber bands but that's it.

I'd be foolish to say it's the best, but I can say it's easy to use and it works.

kellyguinn 03-15-2018 09:46 AM

If your wanting something a little unique look up Homely Hen Calls. He has a waterproof slate trough type call that instead of slate uses granite along with an aluminum striker. Great looking calls that sound great as well. He also has a box call that is awesome. His calls are very cheap for the quality and each is custom/hand made.

JW 03-15-2018 02:19 PM

Hard to beat HS Strutt double sided championship box call.
I've beat the crap outa several.

I've have several custom calls. Some are great. A few are mantle ornaments.

JW