HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   An ugly 16g... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/415977-ugly-16g.html)

Bocajnala 10-20-2017 03:58 PM

An ugly 16g...

So I've got this ugly, old 16 gauge. It's been a good squirrel and rabbit shooter.

I'm going to try to get a Turkey with it next spring. I've used a 10 and a 12. Figured I might as well head right down the line.

Anyone using a 16g? Do they make Turkey loads for them?

-JaKe

Arrowmaster 10-20-2017 06:24 PM

hahaha Its not ugly. Im sure that gun will kill many turkeys.

RPD63 10-21-2017 01:37 PM

Nothing wrong with that gun at all. I have read where guys are using pheasant loads for turkey in their 16 ga shotguns. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant could be worth trying on a pattern board.

Game Stalker 10-21-2017 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4318785)

So I've got this ugly, old 16 gauge. It's been a good squirrel and rabbit shooter.

I'm going to try to get a Turkey with it next spring. I've used a 10 and a 12. Figured I might as well head right down the line.

Anyone using a 16g? Do they make Turkey loads for them?

-JaKe

Not using one, but if I had that gun I wouldn't let nothing hold me back.
Quick search on 4 different sites didn't turn up any specific turkey loads(longer search might), but heavy upland shot of 1&1/8 oz. should work well. Many good loads in that weight range w/varying shot size-4 to 6-in lead or bismuth.
Marlin?
2&3/4 or 2&1/2 chamber? I remember those.

Bocajnala 10-22-2017 12:53 AM

It's a JC Higgins 58-318....I've read that it's made by Hi Standard (Model 10)

It's a full choke. I'll pattern it this spring. Limit my range to the pattern, and see if I can knock one down with it.

I've had it for a long time. But other than some squirrel and rabbit hunts haven't done much with it.

-Jake

jrbsr 10-28-2017 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4318864)
It's a JC Higgins 58-318....I've read that it's made by Hi Standard (Model 10)

It's a full choke. I'll pattern it this spring. Limit my range to the pattern, and see if I can knock one down with it.

I've had it for a long time. But other than some squirrel and rabbit hunts haven't done much with it.

-Jake

That is an old timey Goose gun.
They knocked geese out of the ski at 60 yard plus for years.
It is the old timers best Turky Shoot gun.
It will be fine for turkey hunting.
Get a reloading set up and make your own turkey loads.
That way you can customise a load just for that gun.
Use # 4, #6, and # 8 shot mix.
I would love to have one of those guns.
After all the old timers killed turkeys with 2 inch black powder shotgun shells in the day.

Bocajnala 10-28-2017 04:24 PM

jrbsr.

That's good to hear. Might be able to get some good patterns out of it then.

-Jake

Colorado Bob 11-07-2017 12:35 PM

I would love to find one of those for my wife. She likes a bolt action rifle & the switch to a shotgun would be easy for her. Cut the stock to fit her & go kill turkeys. I'm looking for 12, 16 or 20 with a full choke. Bob