HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Effect of long grass in fields? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/413783-effect-long-grass-fields.html)

Bob H in NH 05-18-2017 10:06 AM

Effect of long grass in fields?

Given the amount of rain we've had locally and now the sudden multi-day burst of sun and heat, the fields I turkey hunt are starting to SHOOT UP with grass.

It was very noticeable last weekend and this weekend will be even more.

The question is, once the grass is longer, does it effect Turkey movement in the fields?

The same field I called 2 jakes across opening day, now has MUCH taller grass, will the turkeys cross the field still or would they skirt the edges or stay in the woods

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 05-18-2017 10:22 AM

Tall grass makes them VERY nervous! If they have other places to go, they will!
Tall grass can hide bobcats, yotes, etc.

If tall grass is EVERYWHERE, they are more likely to travel the bare edges of the fields when possible.

I have had to deal with the same issue this year.

Strut&Rut 05-18-2017 11:18 AM

In addition to what Donnie mentioned, the tall grass holds large amounts of dew and moisture. Even on days without rain the tall grass is wet, so birds will tend to stay away from those fields until later in the day, after the water burns off.

Those fields can be especially productive late morning into the afternoon if the hens go there to search for insects, especially grasshoppers...

JW 05-18-2017 07:56 PM

In my opinion and what I have witnessed.
Birds don't shy away from tall grass. Many times I have seen the proverbial red periscope of the Toms head as that is all you will see. If you know what to look for.
They flat out can disappear quickly.
My brother and I watched a pair of hens feet on the fluffed dandelion tops eating like Bon-bons in a tall grass field. First time I saw that.
While we make think they shy away....
I'm beginning to suspect tall grass fields are used more.
Just like the cedar swamps of upper Mich. We once figured the birds squirted these.
In fact they go right thru them.
Seen them wade chest deep too.
Tis why I love this sport. 30 yrs of learning g new things of a very resourceful bird.
JW

Sheridan 05-18-2017 09:00 PM

So is it yes or no ??

I know, it depends ...................... !!

JW 05-19-2017 04:24 AM

LOL..
Does tall grass effect turkey movement?
Yes
Will tall grass stop a turkey from coming to you?
No.

I've seen turkeys go thru some of the thickest nastiest brush you could imagine.
I've had them swim to get to me.
If they want to come they will.
HOWEVER...there are times a single strand if wire, a little bit of puddle, a log, a row of corn stalks.....will stop them dead in their tracks.

Brings back to mind my last tom of last yr.
I sat this big pasture. 129 yards across from me was a mature alfalfa field. It needed cutting bad. It was well past knee high.
Where did the Tom come from? Thru that dang body hiding alflfa.
I caught movement....but only the red periscope.
His head would pop up and then disappear. I'd cluck but absolutely no resulting gobble.
This went on for sometime that I quit calling all together.
But Up scope.....and Down scope.
Do you know what he was doing?
STRUTTING!
When he finally stepped out..it all made sense.
He was strutting in alfalfa that was higher than his strutting tail feathers.
Only time I saw him is when he stood erect and peered at me. And then all I saw was a head. No neck at all.
I thought sure any bird would be coming along the edge.
Not thru that stuff.
JW

JoeA 05-19-2017 02:56 PM

If the grass is wet, they will avoid walking through it. They'll stick to field edges and follow open trails and any roads that are going through the tall stuff.