Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Got a bearded hen lastnight >

Got a bearded hen lastnight

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got a bearded hen lastnight

Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got a bearded hen lastnight

Left work at 3:00 yesterday, and was in my blind by 4:00. Made one short calling sequence right away, and by 4:15, I was done. This is only my second year hunting for turkeys. Last year I got a jake, and now this year this hen. 2 for 2!! Cant complain about that!

Old 04-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bearded hen.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go man , makes it sound so simple . Congrats
Old 04-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

everyone is entitled to 1 bearded hen congrats on it, now let me say my piece, this is from almost 40 years of turkey hunting experience.
30% of all hens have a beard, the beard becomes visable at around 5 years of age, bearded hens are older productive individuals they know how to successfully raise a clutch, they are what carries on the population. young hens don't raise many young, congrats on your harvest,just giving you something to think about, that hen was 7 0r 8 years old.
RR
Old 04-18-2017, 02:17 AM
Spike

Congrats on your bird man. They are still good eating. I got one a couple of years ago. It made really strange sounds coming in. I watched if for about ten minutes before I saw the beard.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a bearded hen around 5 or 6 yeas ago. It was a hazy and foggy morning when it came threw some brush towards my location. Being new at turkey hunting and all when I saw the beard I fired. As I went up to pick it up another bird flew that I never even saw. So when I saw it was a hen I thought I had some how managed to shoot the wrong bird. That was until I picked it up and saw the beard.... I was very surprised and went and tagged it. I then put it in an old fridge we have to keep it good and cold. The very next morning I was able to connect to a young tom of around 2 years old. So I took a picture of them both together...