Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What would you have done? >

What would you have done?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What would you have done?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
Wasn't a dominant bird.
Get rid of the jake.

JW

I agree 100% Get rid of the Jake
Old 04-10-2017, 05:32 PM
neb
Typical Buck

No more jake. I kind of like to hunt with decoys and the reasoning is when you hunt with a bow it makes it easier. For one thing the decoy is out there at x yards and they will stay out in front of me longer and mess with the decoys. It just gives a bow hunter more time to get the best shot. IMO
Old 04-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Typical Buck

I always move closer to them when they are hung up, works pretty well.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The issue of sub-dominant toms (or 'satellite toms' as one seasoned turkey guide calls them) and tactics to hunt them doesn't get enough mention in IMO in TV shows and print.

So...to the original question. I'm in the camp with a lot of respondants. Lose the jake.

Whenever I've seen a bird come in to a decoy set up, I only had a hen out. Maybe it's something with Rios. Maybe it's just how the birds here act. I dunno. But for me, the best way I've found to set my jake and tom decoys is to leave them in the back of the jeep or at home.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Thanks for your help and that is what I did. The jake is gone and I did set up two hens. Last evening went out and got 2 toms and 4 hens some in to the decoys. Hens came in and toms followed all puffed up. They were out in front of me for about 15 min. and had a great bow shot at a tom. I missed got a few feathers but didn't hit the bird expect feathers. Lol

I have had some great opportunities so far and shot gun hunting I would have been the first day. I'm not sure what happened but was a 15 yard shot.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good Luck with getting him.. I have one tom I have hunted for 3 years now and he still out smarts me and everyone else that has hunted for him. I spotted him yesterday while out scouting and even though he was still over 100 yards away he took running and he hasn't been hunted yet this year. That one is a very smart bird and makes for a great challenge.