HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Will they still be there? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/410502-will-they-still-there.html)

Bocajnala 12-04-2016 11:01 PM

Will they still be there?

Alright, I've been watching turkeys all fall while deer hunting. Know where they are roosting typically, and see where they fly down and start heading towards the field. Will these birds probably continue to use the same pattern throughout the winter and spring? I've only seriously hunted turkeys two different years in the spring and took a nice gobbler with a 10" beard one of those years. But I think this spring I'd like to focus on getting one. Will their patterns change or think they'll stay the same?
-Jake

Topgun 3006 12-05-2016 08:17 AM

I guess I would answer you with they will PROBABLY keep a similar pattern if everything stays the same as far as the land usage if the field and food sources stay the same and they aren't pestered by people cutting trees or going out busting them off their roost, etc. One big thing is do not call them until the season actually opens.

Oldtimr 12-05-2016 08:36 AM

Turkeys will move around, they will probably be in the same area that you are seeing them but not necessarily in the same place.

Sheridan 12-05-2016 09:31 AM

Continue to keep your eyes on where they are roosting.

Their food source will change (so will their daily path of travel), but it's the roost tree that really matters.

Bocajnala 12-07-2016 08:53 PM

Ya, I'm going to keep tabs on them over the winter.. Several nice birds in the group.
-JaKE

JW 12-08-2016 05:42 AM

They will be in the 'general' area but may not be in the same exact spot. Food dictates that. Winter areas get over pecked and as spring approaches they expand to new food areas. Also spring flocks start to break up as the Toms jostle for breeding rights. the hens set out looking for that secret spot to nest.
Many winter roosts I watch are old white pine groves which offer great wind protection. but come spring this changes if there are a good variety of other big trees around.
But I follow birds all yr long. I ahve for years and is why I harvest as many as I do. I have found that several spring spots that produce well each spring are vacant come Fall when I hunt.
But the more time you spend scouting - the odds in taking a good bird will go up.
JW

jakhammer125 01-23-2017 04:06 PM

They should still be within hearing distance. As stated they move around a lot but they will gobble close enough to hear em within a couple trips

Arrowmaster 01-23-2017 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4284508)
They will be in the 'general' area but may not be in the same exact spot. Food dictates that. Winter areas get over pecked and as spring approaches they expand to new food areas. Also spring flocks start to break up as the Toms jostle for breeding rights. the hens set out looking for that secret spot to nest.
Many winter roosts I watch are old white pine groves which offer great wind protection. but come spring this changes if there are a good variety of other big trees around.
But I follow birds all yr long. I ahve for years and is why I harvest as many as I do. I have found that several spring spots that produce well each spring are vacant come Fall when I hunt.
But the more time you spend scouting - the odds in taking a good bird will go up.
JW

I agree 100%

Mr. Longbeard 01-26-2017 12:58 AM

I find that fall areas and spring areas are a lot of times different

Outdoorlivin 01-26-2017 08:59 AM

Just call and the Toms will come straight to ya