Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Will they still be there? >

Will they still be there?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Will they still be there?

Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Will they still be there?

Alright, I've been watching turkeys all fall while deer hunting. Know where they are roosting typically, and see where they fly down and start heading towards the field. Will these birds probably continue to use the same pattern throughout the winter and spring? I've only seriously hunted turkeys two different years in the spring and took a nice gobbler with a 10" beard one of those years. But I think this spring I'd like to focus on getting one. Will their patterns change or think they'll stay the same?
-Jake
Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I would answer you with they will PROBABLY keep a similar pattern if everything stays the same as far as the land usage if the field and food sources stay the same and they aren't pestered by people cutting trees or going out busting them off their roost, etc. One big thing is do not call them until the season actually opens.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-05-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turkeys will move around, they will probably be in the same area that you are seeing them but not necessarily in the same place.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Continue to keep your eyes on where they are roosting.

Their food source will change (so will their daily path of travel), but it's the roost tree that really matters.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ya, I'm going to keep tabs on them over the winter.. Several nice birds in the group.
-JaKE
Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 AM
JW
Super Moderator

They will be in the 'general' area but may not be in the same exact spot. Food dictates that. Winter areas get over pecked and as spring approaches they expand to new food areas. Also spring flocks start to break up as the Toms jostle for breeding rights. the hens set out looking for that secret spot to nest.
Many winter roosts I watch are old white pine groves which offer great wind protection. but come spring this changes if there are a good variety of other big trees around.
But I follow birds all yr long. I ahve for years and is why I harvest as many as I do. I have found that several spring spots that produce well each spring are vacant come Fall when I hunt.
But the more time you spend scouting - the odds in taking a good bird will go up.
JW
Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Spike

They should still be within hearing distance. As stated they move around a lot but they will gobble close enough to hear em within a couple trips
Old 01-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JW
They will be in the 'general' area but may not be in the same exact spot. Food dictates that. Winter areas get over pecked and as spring approaches they expand to new food areas. Also spring flocks start to break up as the Toms jostle for breeding rights. the hens set out looking for that secret spot to nest.
Many winter roosts I watch are old white pine groves which offer great wind protection. but come spring this changes if there are a good variety of other big trees around.
But I follow birds all yr long. I ahve for years and is why I harvest as many as I do. I have found that several spring spots that produce well each spring are vacant come Fall when I hunt.
But the more time you spend scouting - the odds in taking a good bird will go up.
JW

I agree 100%
Old 01-26-2017, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that fall areas and spring areas are a lot of times different
Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Spike

Just call and the Toms will come straight to ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.