HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How far can you hear drumming? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/406617-how-far-can-you-hear-drumming.html)

JW 05-20-2016 08:20 AM

How far can you hear drumming?

I'll post later after a few comments to let you know my distance.

JW

maytom 05-20-2016 10:27 AM

On a still morning, I bet over 100 yards easy.

Strut&Rut 05-20-2016 11:12 AM

Well, they typically drum anytime they strut. Hearing him drum depends on how well you pick up sound in that lower range, how quiet the woods are, and the lay of the land (line of sight). For me, because I hunt hills or rolling flatland, I typically only hear it 20 yards and under. Opening day I called in 5 toms, 3 went into strut on a hillside facing me and my son about 60 yards. I could hear the boss tom drumming for 20 min, but in ~20 years of turkey hunting, that's the only time I can think of where I heard the drum farther than 20 yards

JW 05-21-2016 06:09 AM

115 yards. I couldn't believe it.
I have lost slot of my hearing at the high frequency but low is ok.
I knew or I thought he was close as I could plainly hear the drumming. With only one so so ear I'm directional dysfunctional. ..don't know which direction. So I took the dang aids out. Could still hear the drum and then I saw him. While I thought he was behind me. He was in front in the shade at 115 yds. Thinking no way there has to be another Tom. And I see him strut and hear the drum.....wow.
I ranged it with my RXII Leupold.
Nm ow I do have several CDS of turkey voices to which I listen to over and over. Especially the drumming part.....
JW

Ridge Runner 05-21-2016 07:07 AM

a lot of it depends on the individual bird, like gobbleing, the more they do it the better they get at it.
RR

Rob in VT 05-21-2016 03:59 PM

The furthest I have heard it is about 75 yards.

JW 05-22-2016 03:13 AM

I have been out almost everyday since April 2.
Gobbling has been poor this yr. Weather has stayed rather chilly and we had snow on May 14!
Drumming has been awesome though.

Arrowmaster 05-22-2016 07:34 PM

I heard one drumming this year over 100yrs from me. It was a calm day. He is now in my freezer

Western MA Hunter 05-23-2016 04:23 AM

I've never actually found the distance... but I have a very good ear for that low pitch sound of drumming... I can hear it when many cannot... however, put me in a crowded room and try to have a convo w/ a lot of ambient noise, I can't here anything... fiancé says I need to get het hearing checked...
i'd guess and say 100 yards or less though... not sure.

JoeA 05-23-2016 02:22 PM

It depends. Terrain and weather features can help or hinder the distance sounds travels. I've heard drumming from <5 to 75-80yds.